Tech 21 Trademan 60 - which fuse to use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gaserino, Apr 17, 2016.

1. gaserino

gaserino Member

I blew a fuse which has been in the amp for 20+ years and is probably the factory original since I can't remember blowing a fuse before. I could be wrong though.

PROBLEM: it's not clear what fuse to use because:

1. The fuse that blew was a 2.5 / 250V, I can't tell if it was regular or Slo-blow.

2. The back of the amp lists 2 fuse values, but neither is checked and neither matches what was in the amp all these years: 2.5/250V. The amp lists either:
    • 3A / 117V
    • 1.5A / 230V
    3. The manual lists something different:
    • 3A / 117V
    • F 1.6A / 250V

I bought these at Radio Shack hoping one might be a good replacement

3A / 250V fast acting
    3A / 250V Slow-Blow
    2.5A / 250V Fast Acting
    2.5A / 250V Slow-Blow

Any help?

Thanks
    Steven

2. erniecaster

erniecaster Member

3. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

3A / 250V fast acting is the correct fuse.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The back panel is saying that you should use a 3A fuse if your wall voltage is 117v (nominal) and a 1.5A fuse if it's 230v. So, assuming you're in the US, you need a 3A fuse and the 2.5A wasn't quite big enough. As to slow vs fast, most tube amps use slow blow fuses for the mains fuse, because the onrush of current when the amp is turned on would blow a fast acting fuse. I don't think that's true of a SS amp. Oh, and the voltage after the rating on the fuse is how much total voltage it can tolerate, not the wall voltage like the back of the amp. So, on that basis you could predict what the tech21 guy said: it's a 3A/250v fast acting fuse...

5. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

Correct my bad, I assumed the amp was in the US. We use fast acting fuses. The 2.5A will probably work but will blow a little sooner. From our manual:

(The bump from 1.5 to 1.6A has to do with European regulations.)