Tech 21 Trademark 30 Questions.

RJT

Before saying anything. I am in NO way interested in a Trademark 60 OR Power Engine 60. They're both too heavy. The Trademark 30 is something between 10-20 lbs and is within my weight restrictions as I have some back issues.

I have been looking into one of these for quite a while now.. And I think I might pull the trigger on one. I for the life of me, can't seem to find an answer to two questions I have, anywhere.

1.) If I'm micing this amp to FOH.. Is is doable to use in a live situation? Stage volume isn't really loud.. We don't even use monitors unless we have outdoor gigs.

2.) How well do they take modeling pedals (HD500x in specific), using the modeler as a preamp? As in, mono out to the fx return on the amp.

These amps get great reviews everywhere I look. I'd also use it in studio.. But I need something light and quality. I have a pair of Alto TS110As that I just bought. I absolutely loved them, tonally. I used them out for the first time on Saturday, and sure enough.. Had a driver go out on me. Returned both of them. I don't think I would have carried 2 with me again, even if they worked out, so I'm not all too concerned with a stereo setup anymore. I rather missed an amp sitting next to me.. So modeler (with cab/mic sims off), through a light amp, then micd up is the way I'm definitely going to go.

Thank you in advance.. I appreciate all of the help that I have gotten on every thread I have posted.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
1.) If I'm micing this amp to FOH.. Is is doable to use in a live situation? Stage volume isn't really loud.. We don't even use monitors unless we have outdoor gigs.

2.) How well do they take modeling pedals (HD500x in specific), using the modeler as a preamp? As in, mono out to the fx return on the amp.
I love my TM30... they are great little amps! To your questions:

1) Why not use the XLR direct out to the FOH instead of micing the amp?

2) I can't answer to that, but it does take pedals well (in general)

Maybe someone else can help?

RJT

How does the sound going direct to FOH sound compared to whats coming out of the driver? I'm running the HD500x L/Mono output right to the fx return to bypass the preamp.. Was unsure how much the sound would differ between speaker/direct out to FOH.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
How does the sound going direct to FOH sound compared to whats coming out of the driver? I'm running the HD500x L/Mono output right to the fx return to bypass the preamp.. Was unsure how much the sound would differ between speaker/direct out to FOH.
Well, it will differ from what the driver is doing some I imagine (esp. filtered thru whatever mic you put in front of it), but the direct out is actually the same as what you'd get with a SansAmp GT2 pedal (it's what's built into the amp) so it's pretty good - you should try it!

RJT

Well, it will differ from what the driver is doing some I imagine (esp. filtered thru whatever mic you put in front of it), but the direct out is actually the same as what you'd get with a SansAmp GT2 pedal (it's what's built into the amp) so it's pretty good - you should try it!
The only reason I was asking, is because the more I read about the 500x units, I hear they are pretty finicky in terms of what you hear vs what's coming out of the main mix (when using an actual guitar amp). I have found a pretty great balance running it through my one combo, micing it, then running it through my own pa, trying to reference what I hear coming out of my combo vs the pa. I'd stick with that amp, but I've got some back issues, and carrying a 40 pound amp isn't an option anymore, lol.

I will absolutely try it out, though! If it works out for me, I don't have to carry the stand to mic my amp.. And the weight on the bottom of that damn thing is 15 pounds all on its own, lol.

EDIT: I don't really want a FRFR system to carry for monitoring. I like having an amp along side of me.. Call me hard headed, but I am what I am, haha.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
The only reason I was asking, is because the more I read about the 500x units, I hear they are pretty finicky in terms of what you hear vs what's coming out of the main mix (when using an actual guitar amp). I have found a pretty great balance running it through my one combo, micing it, then running it through my own pa, trying to reference what I hear coming out of my combo vs the pa. I'd stick with that amp, but I've got some back issues, and carrying a 40 pound amp isn't an option anymore, lol.

I will absolutely try it out, though! If it works out for me, I don't have to carry the stand to mic my amp.. And the weight on the bottom of that damn thing is 15 pounds all on its own, lol.

EDIT: I don't really want a FRFR system to carry for monitoring. I like having an amp along side of me.. Call me hard headed, but I am what I am, haha.
If you have another channel on the board to play with, you might try splitting your signal to send both the TM30 and the HD500x outs to the board... then your sound guy could mix the two back into your monitor and the FOH to your liking!

RJT

I'll take that into consideration! We usually don't use monitors, though. Just at outdoor gigs. We've got a pretty mellow stage volume.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I would just experiment with running your guitar into the HD500x (for everything) and into the TM30 effects return like you mentioned at first and see how that goes... but then also try using the HD500x just for delay/chorus/reverb (etc., no dirt) thru the FX loop while plugging straight into the TM30 to use the SansAmp preamp for your dirt. Maybe you'll like the sound of one better?

RJT

Well, I would just experiment with running your guitar into the HD500x (for everything) and into the TM30 effects return like you mentioned at first and see how that goes... but then also try using the HD500x just for delay/chorus/reverb (etc., no dirt) thru the FX loop while plugging straight into the TM30 to use the SansAmp preamp for your dirt. Maybe you'll like the sound of one better?
It's very possible. I actually bought the amp so when not using it for gigs, I could use it to record. I have a handful of tube amps at my disposal.. But honestly, I feel that solid state amps absolutely have their place in the tool box of a guitarist (as I also feel about modeling solutions).. And this one from everything I have read, heard, and experienced first hand.. Is one hell of a solid state amp.

Thanks for your input.. It's appreciated!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've used a TM10 mic'd and direct from the XLR and it sounds really similar. Can't speak to how the HD500 would impact that, though.

RJT

I've used a TM10 mic'd and direct from the XLR and it sounds really similar. Can't speak to how the HD500 would impact that, though.
Good to know, thank you!
I guess the question would be.. How close does the cab emulated xlr direct out sound to the actual sound of the speaker. If It's close.. Then I'd imagine (since all cab and mic simulation would be turned off in my HD500x) that it would have similar results running modeled preamps through it. The xlr direct out comes after the power amp according to the schematics, so anything fed into it comes out the back end.

When I pick one of these up, I'll probably end up micing it till I find some real time to experiment.

ksandvik

It's pretty weak next to a loud drummer and the louder you crank out the TM30, the more noise you are getting.

RJT

It's pretty weak next to a loud drummer and the louder you crank out the TM30, the more noise you are getting.
We're pretty damn quiet on stage. Enough so that I don't have to scream at the person next to me for them to be able to year at me. That's what PA systems are for, to make things louder. No point in aggravating stage volume, completely unnecessary.

tech21nyc

Our Power Engine 60 would be a better choice for use with a modeler. It has 3 band active EQ which allows you to set the tone of the PE60 independently from the XLR out. That way you can optimize the tone of your modeler for stage monitoring but your modelers tone won't be changed at the XLR out of the PE going to the PA system.

When you go into the TM30's efx return there is no speaker emulation. You are just tapping into the output section of the amp.

RJT

Our Power Engine 60 would be a better choice for use with a modeler. It has 3 band active EQ which allows you to set the tone of the PE60 independently from the XLR out. That way you can optimize the tone of your modeler for stage monitoring but your modelers tone won't be changed at the XLR out of the PE going to the PA system.

When you go into the TM30's efx return there is no speaker emulation. You are just tapping into the output section of the amp.
As much as I'd love your PE60.. It's too heavy for my 3 herniated discs. I can't carry it around.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I have a TM30 that I use for rehearsal and an occasional coffee house gig. I am mainly interested in the clean to slightly driven amp sound. It is loud enough for a three piece coffee house thing. The tweed clean is quiet and might be hard to hear over a drummer in a live stage situation, even a quiet drummer. I do rehearse with a full band using it but it is close at hand so I can hear it. The high gain setting will give more output than the clean position even with the drive set pretty low. This might be workable and is the solution I use with a drummer during rehearsal.

The XLR out is a decent way to go, is very convenient and sounds pretty good through the PA. The amp tone controls are pretty sensitive. Small adjustments make a difference. Dropping the tone controls below the mid point will start to cause a pretty noticeable drop in output level so I find it works best for me to adjust higher. For example, need less mids, adjust bass and treble slightly higher.

The plastic cover is extra and is not that great in my opinion. Basically no protection if you are hauling the amp to gigs. The shoulder bag is better. Tight fit but it does provide useful protection and is handy for carrying.

In the end, I think about selling mine since the base tone is not quite right for me. I thought the convenience and function would win out but it hasn't so far. I am more of a BF clean sound person and the pedals I like work best into that setup. The TM30 is definitely not in the BF sound category.

Having said that it still works for the coffeehouse folky blues thing I do. No pedals, straight in with a di to the house PA. And it is very convenient for rehearsal. And I did prefer it to the Cube 20X I was using. And I like Cubes overall.

I think the old Cube 30 would replace the TM30 for me.

hunter

RJT

Well written review, I appreciate it! The clean headroom isn't all that high because Tech 21 intended this to be a studio use amplifier (from what I gather). I'm looking to bypass the preamp, so the headroom I'd be searching for is how much headroom the power section provides.. Granted, I won't need a lot because my band is pretty quiet on stage. I looked at the Cubes, I like them.. But they don't offer an FX Loop. Pretty much no sub- $350 solid state amp (under 25 lbs) offers an FX Loop.. And I have searched many hours looking for one.

ksandvik

You should take a look at a Fender SCXD, I replaced my TM 30 with that one and it's light, less noise, cuts through most drummers in low to moderate settings and cranked up is a fun amp. I replaced the speaker with a Ragin Cajun with 103 SPL or so, less chime but the speaker is loud now and does not fart with full volume settings. I think the weight with the new speaker is 28lbs.