Tech 21 Trademark 60 users.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vangit, Sep 19, 2008.

1. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

Can you guys give some opinions (tone, feel, responce,etc)? I pretty interested in one. Also, can the 60 watts hold it's own with a drummer? thanks

2. soul1

soul1 Member

great amp. I only use the clean channel and use some pedals for my lead tones. Both channels use the same EQ so therefore the lead channel might not work out with the same EQ setting as the clean... grab your favourite OD pedal and problem solved.

I have the 2x12 version which has no problems whatsoever keeping up with a drummer or having clean headroom. I used to own the 1x12 which was nice as well, but I wanted that extra 12" speaker. I believe they're also selling them in a 4x10 configuartion as well, looks pretty tempting.

The amp has a very nice feel, it sounds very organic and tube-y. The great thing is it sounds just as good if not better when you turn it up loud! a rare thing for SS amps.

3. samjbrowne

samjbrowne Member

I don't know how much they've changed but I had an original Trademark 60 and damn was that a great amp. I wish I never sold it - excellent bedroom amp (sounded great at low, low volume), fine for band practice and (just) giggable with a mic in front of it. It could do everything from AC30 tones on Channel 1 (which is sort of like a Class A amp with adjustable gain) to JCM800 crunch and beyond into old school Metallica (presumably Mark IV) tone with the gain dimed on Channel 2. Coupled with accutronics reverb across both channels (footswitchable) and an adjustable solo boost, that's a mean little amp!

I'd say yes, it could hold its own with a drummer but it's at its best at moderate volumes, not like a tube amp that improves with volume. At loud volume, this is not a great sounding amp - the bass starts to get very uncontrollable and definition is lost. It's best with a mic in front of it, pointing up at you, at medium volumes.

It's also a GREAT recording amp. I had a mesa recto and 4x12 at the time I owned my TM60 and ended up using the TM60 for recording metal stuff, it just sounded better at those volumes. Seriously.

It sounds GREAT through a Marshall 4x12 too, and then you can get REALLY loud with it, no problems.

No amp does everything well but for the money you won't get a better amp. I really miss mine.

4. Snap

Snap Member

I had one for a few years.
    It really has some decent tones, but just didn't suit my needs.
    It's a good practice amp, but I really didn't like it for recording or gigging.

buddaman71 likes this.
  5. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Great low maintenance ss amp. Swapped the stock speaker is only structural change I made. CH1 is where I rode; CH2 didn't find much action. The "feel" thing IMO wasn't ideal but it is a fun amp. Mikes great! No problems with bam-bam (the drummer). Gets along with pedals great (an Ethos into CH1 is f###ing grand). Never recorded with it. Only rehearsed and gigged the snot out of it. Oh, it's light/easy to carry. My Super 17 sounds way "mo butta." :)

6. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I've been using mine for practice, jams and gigging for going on 4 years now... I got tired of dragging my SF Deluxe Reverb around all the time because I was frustrated with the reliability (or lack thereof) in tube amplifiers, and found the clean headroom insufficient for some of the rooms we were playing. I tried a bunch of more powerful tube amps, but couldn't use them at home for practice or setup, so had to spend way too much time when setting up to play dialing in the right tones with my bandmates standing around being impatient... So I decided to give the dark side a try, and after auditioning too damned many solid state amps (no boutique stuff, mind you, just what I could find in the local music stores) I bought a Roland BC60 and a Tech21 Trademark 60 to test drive for a few months, before finally settling on the TM60. I have since sold the BC60 and now have two 1x12" Trademark 60s, which give me scalability (you can chain two off a single preamp) and stage coverage for larger gigs.

Although the TM60 is technically a "two channel" amp, the shared Bass and Treble EQ means I tend to dial in a master tone on one channel or the other and use pedals to add gain and grit. I find the "Punch" control on channel one an incredibly powerful tone shaping tool; this amp can feel incredibly tube-like. The unconventional active/interactive EQ means that you have to spend some quality time learning the controls and dialing in your sound; I find that the amp can get really bright if you're not careful how you balance things on channel one, but once you find the settings that work for you, you won't believe you're playing through a solid state amp.

One terrific feature of the amp that's been overlooked or undermentioned so far is the footswitchable "Boost/Reverb", which I use all the time for lead fills. Micing the amp sounds great (I use an SM57 set just off center on a shorty boom stand), though you can run an XLR from the direct out to the board as well... Anyway, I really love these amps, and would recommend them to anyone interested in what an all analog solid state circuit can offer tonally!

7. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Agreed.

While fine at "civilized" volumes it definitely wouldn't stand up to a rock drummer with out sound reinforcement.

I loved Ch.1, but Ch.2 didn't work for me at all. Ch. 1 with pedals was heaven though. I gave it to my son one Chrismas and have missed it ever since.

8. HHB

HHB Member

I gigged one for about a year, I did ch 1 w/ pedals too, I dont like "dirty" channels as a rule and the TM60 was no exception, I thought it sounded great and loved the line out and lightweight. I hung w/ the drummers I played with

9. Spark

Spark Member

Another "gigged with it for a while, pedals thru channel 1" guy here. Loved ch1 and had good luck with the xlr out. wished the boost/reverb functions were seperate. definitely loud enough to hang with heavy hitting drummer. didn't get many usable rhythym tones (for me) out of ch2, but it does a pretty good santana-ish lead tone. used a mesa v-twin pedal thru ch1 for crunch/lead tones, and thru the tm60 it was the best that pedal ever sounded.

10. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

I gig with one regularly, very regularly.
    The 2 channels have great versatility once dialed in, but are tough to balance to use together.
    The dirt channel really does sound good and has a broad range of tones rock rock and metal. This channel is great for low volume and recording, or as a rock osund on its own. As this channel is played in a loud band context it gets too bassy and thick, so eq tweaking is needed.

I use the amp clean with pedals.I have the controls set to approximate my DRRI.
    I have yet to find a pedal that does not work with this amp.
    I run delay and chorus thru the loop and everything else out front.
    I must say, this amp loud feels like a tube amp to me.

No need to debate or flame, I have plenty of tube amps. I do alot of theatre work and a Marshall is impractical. For my use this amp is the best. And I love all the boutique gear, etc..

The one downside, it takes a little tweaking to get the EQ right, and switching guitars (Les Paul to a Strat) causes a bit of tweaking. I set the clean for the Strat and use the bright switch for the Les Paul, if I am using both for a gig. Sometimes I'll have to do a minor eq tweak. As I got more used to this amp it is not a problem for me.

The direct out is perfect for large theatres and really captures the amp sound, just as long as the soundman runs the channel flat with a slight cut in gain.

I also add a Power Engine to it and the amp really opens up.

I have been using this particular amp for about 8 years without an issue.
    In fact I may look into having it serviced by Tech 21 to clean up the innards and maybe purchase another one.

If I remember correctly, I paid under just under $500.00 for it new.
    I can't recommend this amp enough. I get plenty of compliments on my sound, which is usually due to pedals.

11. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

Thanks allot for the opinions guys. Are ther any other notable analog SS amps out there worth exploring?

12. ?&!

?&! Member

I have 2 Roland Blues Cube (BC60) 3x10 combos, and I absolutely love them. The clean channel is spectacular, and it's a great pedal platform. The dirty channel is a little buzzy for rhythm playing, but it does a pretty great lead tone. I still record with tube amps, but the BC60s get the most live use out of anything in my stable. Plus, you can pick them up DIRT cheap on Craigslist. I paid $250 for my first one, and bought the spare for $200. I've never tried a Trademark 60, but I would definitely like to. Those Pritchard amps look awfully intriguing as well...

13. datriani

datriani Member

I'm just curious as to what brought you to the Trademark 60? Price, flexibility/features, size/weight, low-maintenance?

I use to have one (just recently sold it on ebay) but it's a great amp. I bought it for all the reasons above but in the end got rid of it because it still doesn't have the characteristics of a tube amp i.e. the harmonics weren't smooth like a quality tube amp. But out of the non-tube amps I've played it's probably the closest for something under $800.

If size/weight and maintenace isn't a huge factor I'd look into a used late 90's Peavey Ultra combo. Great amp and you can find it pretty cheap. It's heavy and "high" maintenance like all tube amps but it's a good sounding amp for the money. I think some of the modern Peavey amps (JSX, TripleX, etc) are based upon that amp but the lead channel sounds like a higher gain JCM900.

I currently have a Budda SD18 1x12 combo and it sounds amazing and is pretty light. Not that many tubes so it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg to replace them all and it's pretty flexible, effects loop, ext spkr outs, slave out, etc. kinda pricey compared to the Trademark but if that's not an issue, IMO a good buy.

But if the price, flexibility, weight and maintance is your determining factor, the Trademark 60 is the way to go IMO.

14. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

I'm interesed in trying an analog SS amp and the tech 21 has gotten some good praise from my memory.

15. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

They're decent sounding amps. Tech 21 hasn't changed the design in over ten years. You can get 'em used for under $350, so there's almost no reason not to try one. For the size and weight, it's my opinion that the original (blue) Vox Valvetronix amps sound and feel better. Also, the Roland Cube 60 is worth looking into if money is tight. Meanwhile, the Pritchard is in a class all by itself - apples to oranges, so to speak.

The Trademark 60 is considerably more versatile than the GT2-based Trademark 30, although it takes a little more work to dial in. The XLR outputs are useful and also allow you add a Power Engine extension cab if you need more volume.

If I were looking for a new analog SS amp in the under-$800 range, I'd hunt down one of the V-Stack VA852 combos. First Act has done a terrible job marketing them, but they are more cutting edge than the Tech 21 stuff.

-Ben

16. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

any clips of the tech 21
    thats not all drop tunings and speed stuff??

17. sfletch

sfletch Member

It's a really good amp with some intelligent features (footswitchable boost, footswitchable fx loop) the "clean" channel has a huge usable range from clean to dirty and broad EQ spectrum. The dirty channel I never really got dialed in for live use, but I bet I could have with time. I owned and gigged with one for almost a year, kinda wish I still had it at times.

It was plenty loud enough to keep up with a drummer/full band. My only knock was that it was almost as heavy as a TUBE 1x12, so why not take my tube combo to the gig? It ended up being a rarely used backup, so I sold it.

I kinda have always wanted a TM30 for home practice.

18. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

:confused:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm60.html

These clips are very representative of the range of sounds available from this amp.

-Ben

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Interesting. Clips sound pretty 'pro.' Of course, they're just clips.
    One has to wonder how they could be better with with any amp, though, given those targets? Maybe a little different, but even the Tech 21 could likely generate some more tonal variations.

20. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

had one for a few years, till it stopped working, nice light practice amp very easy to carry arround, get some nice tones from it, not really close to the actual amps its supposed to model, if your looking for those tones a Podxt might be a better approach.

never had any luck with solid state amps working for more than a few years, so I always get tube amps. they seem to last forever, and a 15 watt tube amp is about as loud or louder than the 60 watt solid state amp, and solid state amps have a hazy tone that drives me nuts, tubes are so much better sounding.