Tech 21 trademark or vox VT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dazco, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I keep hearing how fantastic the valvtronix is. But i have never tried one. I did however play a trademark 60 for an hour or so recently and was very impressed. I have great tube stuff, but i want a small SS amp for low volume home practice with great tone. The trademark is one of the only SSamps i have ever played i thought sounded great. But i'd like to hear what others think before i consider buying a TM 10 or 30. (assuming they sound as good as the 60....don't need the 60's master features of dual channels)

Which do you prefer and why? Don't use effects as a bias towards the Vox because i don't need effects other than a bit of verb. So based on tone quality only.

2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have had the Vox and now have the Trademark. I like the Trademark myself but the VT is cool as well. Play them both if you can. :)

3. dazco

dazco Member

Thanks. One thing i forgot to mention but is important is this. IThe one thing about the TM i don't like is that when i turn my strat down to get those in between tones, the amp doesn't clean up very well. I know this is to some extent true of all SS amps, but is the vox any better in this regard?

4. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I strongly prefer the TM60 over the Vox Modeling amps based on the type of sounds the TM60 is able to get (a Marshally/Vox hybrid highly overdriven tone and the clean tones with the bright switch disengaged). However, if you're looking for the chimey slightly broken up Vox tone, the TM60 just can't do it. But the 30 watt Vox didn't fair much better having a low end which was woefully bad and the highs a bit shrill depending on the model selected. There are some decent tones on the Vox which the Tech 21 won't do but those tones wouldn't be my go to sounds. YMMV, plenty of people seem to love those Vox modeling amps.

Just a heads up, the TM60 is a unique circuit within the Tech 21 family which is kinda a bridge between the features of the GT2 pedal and their PSA rack mounted preamp while the smaller (and larger) Trademarks are simply a GT2 preamp coupled to a power amp. As such, there are tones possible from the TM60 which can't be captured from their other amps (and vice versa).

5. dazco

dazco Member

Thanks. Thats all info i needed and pretty much just what i figured. Guess i'll stick with playing my tube amps as low as i can at home.

6. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

I absolutely loved my Trademark 10. I bought it for $50 with a broken rev tank and sold it for $150 with an accutronics type 9 tank. The gt2 circuitry is really versatile.

Getting it to clean up with the volume knob isn't totally effective, it's true. But I don't know how much better the vox would be at that...

7. 000

000 Member

I own a TM10 and a new Vox VT50. Both sound really good at very low volumes. If I had to pick right now, I'd go with the VT50. Lots of really good amp models, footswitchable, a few nice built-in effect, separate reverb. The TM10 is cool, I still like it, but I'm diggin the VT50 a lot too.