Tech 21 with headphones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by astainback, Feb 14, 2012.

1. astainback

astainback Member

I know that headphones are not "ideal" with their pedals, but I do know that they work. I do have a mixer, so I can run it that way, but I want the ability to run with headphones. I have a couple of questions.

1. Do the character series pedals or the para driver sound good through headphones?

2. How does the character series sound through a microcube? The reason I am looking at the character series pedals is that I want a pedal or headphone solution that takes pedals well. I am having a hard time pinning down the best solution that allows for pedal use, and still sounds great. It seems like the tech 21 pedals work great with pedals.

2. erikwesley

erikwesley Member

in my experience, the tech 21 pedals are awesome with other pedals. That being said, the direct headphone thing isn't that great. I find that compression of some sort is in order to make a guitar sound good through headphones. Going direct into a mixer/headphones makes distortion sounds very harsh IMO

my .02

3. astainback

astainback Member

Thank you for the comment.
    Have you ever had a headphone setup that you liked?

4. erikwesley

erikwesley Member

I had a line6 XT live which had a post compression and EQ and that to me sounded much better.

5. astainback

astainback Member

I used to have the xt live as well, but I am looking for something smaller, and a LOT simpler.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I tried the Zoom G3 through headphones and it sounded OK. Then I tried the Blonde through the G3 then through headphones and it sounded great. I also run my Tech 21 into some Klipsch powered computer speakers (with a sub, these sound great) and use the headphone out and again the Blonde can sound really good. But the Blonde directly through cans sounds pretty awful. Personally, I don't think these pedals have enough output to drive headphones properly.

7. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Ran the Liverpool, British, Leeds, and VT Bass all through a Vox DA5 battery powered amp with and without headphones and got great sounds out of both.

8. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

They sound fine into a mixer then headphones. If you use a bit of reverb it takes some of the sterile sound away and also be aware that some of the character pedals don't do cleans as well as others.

9. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

Our pedals aren't really designed for headphone use. You can use them with certain headphones but it is not optimal. In general any mono source guitar signal whether it be a direct recording device or an actual amp will sound pretty flat through headphones. You usually need to add some "air." This usually means running the guitar signal through a reverb or delay unit. For headphone use, a stereo processor works best.

If you have a mixer that makes things much easier. You can run the pedal into the mixer and add EFX at the board or just run the Character pedal into a delay or reverb pedal before the board.

The other thing to consider is that our SansAmp products are not "volume dependent" like a tube amp when it comes to getting a great tone. You can run them into the efx loop of your guitar amp or into the front end and get a great tone at whisper quiet volumes.

10. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

Tech21nyc, I need to ask you a question but don't want to hijack this thread. Is it ok to PM you? Thanks