1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

We've expanded this section to allow for and encourage Manufacturers, Luthiers, and Techs to all be able to start and carry on conversations about Tech oriented builds, concepts and experiences.

Please just no overt sales messages or overt advertising.

This is similar in mission to the Video and Clip Demo sections both allowing and encouraging companies and individuals demoing, discussing and showing gear even professionally.

We do ask you have an affiliation notice/disclaimer in your signature to clearly indicate any sort of affiliation for clarity and context.

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Why would you combine commercial with technical?
    I'm afraid if it stays this way I will likely not contribute any longer.
    DJ

Pa'ani likes this.
  3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

It is going to be a balancing act.

It sure would be nice to follow/participate in a thread where an experienced builder demonstrated something, say development of a new prototype build or the troubleshooting process. Their insights, opinions, and approaches would be highly informative.

One danger is that when it involves a commercial product or service it can rapidly devolve into a glorified infomercial. The flip side is that a builder might be opening himself up for some rather pointed criticism, and negative advertising. But you need to give in order to get...

IMO so long as the disclosures are up front and obvious it is then the choice of the reader to continue, or move on to another thread.

4. Trout

Trout Member

I kind of agree,
    Just seems like a can of worms now.

5. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I'm good with this, some of our builders post amazingly detailed and insightful technical ideas. If theres an issue with a specific vendor we can always report it.

6. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I thought this was already the case? Guitar & amp techs have been here helping and sharing info since day 1

hiwattophile likes this.
  7. 1guitarslinger

1guitarslinger Member

Same here.

hiwattophile likes this.
  8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Likewise. Why all the angst about mixing "commercial" with technical? It's not about sales pitches and never has been.

hiwattophile and Ken Zuercher like this.
  9. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I am fine with it. Mike K epitomizes the restraint shown by contributors here. We all know what he does business wise, but he gladly shares his technical insights without it degenerating into a sales pitch. It's why I love TGP. People generally act like grown ups here.

twangbanger likes this.
  10. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

Why wouldn't I want to learn a few tricks from someone who actually gets paid to do what they do best ? :jo
    Why should we need to limit our learning resources to those of us who are unpaid, and maybe even "amateurs"? :confused:
    I'm all for sharing what knowledge we can with our fellow members, provided it doesn't become a glorified infomercial.
    There will, of course, be proprietary information, specific to certain brands and manufacture, which separate these models from other models. I would not expect, although I would welcome, sharing what characteristics have been found that make each of our instruments different. It's one of the reasons I come here: to learn from others - paid or unpaid. The fact that someone has developed an instrument, pedal, amp or whatever that is desirable to many others should be all the more reason to listen to what they have to say. Why make all the mistakes ourselves, when we can learn from others? I'm not sure I understand why we wouldn't want to hear some of this, as long as restraint is exercised, and it's not an infomercial.

11. RSRD

RSRD Member

I agree Mike. In fact, if anything, the gear page needs more of these technical and specified sub rooms (the pub and sound hound are detracting these days) The hard part will be getting users to actually post in here and not in the general guitar and amp pages.

12. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

More obviously: Why would a commercial builder/manufacturer offer up trade secrets for free with the only reward being possibly labeled a spammer and possibly banned?

13. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

In the past, I've gotten great info from many people who are actively engaged in repairing, manufacturing, and selling their own products. They have rarely promoted their own services (unless directly asked), and always been generous with advice. That's what makes this forum great.