Tech In Southern Oregon?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scottrolf, Jul 30, 2019.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I moved to Bandon, Oregon last year and am looking for a great tech that can do any work beyond my basic set-up capabilities.

Eugene is probably the farthest I’d want to go in terms of distance radius.

Suggestions?

Thanks

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I like that area.

Yeah, it could take a while. A lot of "I can do this myself" thinking there. I don't know anyone but I would look in Springfield. I don't think Roseburg has much of that.

Silver Hand likes this.
  3. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I haven't ever taken anything to him, but I hear good things about Steve Spalding in Ashland.

And I agree, the kitchen-knife luthier spirit runs strong in Southern Oregon.
    .... maybe you can find a use for gorse?

Silver Hand and stratadp like this.
  4. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Gorse.... Ugh.
    We retired here last year and bought a place on 5 acres near the beach off Whiskey Run.
    I spent last summer clearing and burning that stuff.
    Never heard of it till we moved here!

Love the area though.

5. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

This. I live and work in the area around Ashland. I do pro setups occasionally that come from a local guitar shop, but the "kitchen-knife luthier spirit" is very true in this area.

There aren't many inquiries about setup work (beyond extremely basic, like adjusting acoustic truss rods) at the guitar shop around here. It's pretty rare for a guitar to come into the shop that doesn't have an improperly cut nut, poor action, and/or poor intonation. There just isn't a huge market around here for players that are really particular about their setups and have a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" attitude. It's all part of the DIY culture around here.

I've never seen any of his work, but I do hear a lot of compliments on the guy mentioned above, Steve Spalding's work. Usually it's the heavily active and serious musicians who mention him, which is a good sign. Ashland, however, is probably further from Bandon than Eugene.

6. Shane S

Shane S Member