Tech21 Character Series, which one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tochiro, Mar 18, 2015.

1. tochiro

tochiro Member

Hi,

I'm looking for an emulator pedal capable of being used both in the front of my combo and direct to PA. I like the JTM45 tone and the Vox tone as well. Which one would you recommend? Other pedal makers in this price range?

thank you

2. olkie

olkie Member

I have a British, which I use all the time for going direct to PA and recording. It takes pedals well and I have a pretty easy time dialing in a dynamic edge of break up sound. It never worked for me using it in front of an amp though.... and while it is a v1 (no speaker emulator defeat switch), I also have an Oxford that I never got the tone I was looking for when using it in front. It could very well be user error and I just don't have the patience to dial it in. But again, I think the Character series pedals are great going direct.

A lot of folks like the Liverpool, but I've never tried one myself.

3. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

I have had the British, Blonde, Liverpool and US Metal / Steel.

All but the last was excellent for direct recording / PA etc.

I now use the other 3 in rotation. The Vox has more chime and less bass, the Blonde is very versatile (can even be used on bass) with tonnes of bass on tap and is naturally slightly scooped in the mids (although the eq section is more than powerful enough to change this), and the British sits somewhere in between them both for me.

I think the Liverpool and British sound the most 'miked amp-like' when they are set clean and stacking other drive pedals into them. I'm really having a tough time in deciding which is best though really -otherwise I would maybe sell another one of them off!

The brand 'Joyo' make copies of some of these Tech 21 pedals and from what I have read they are pretty decent too.

Peace,

Rob.

4. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I have used a Liverpool direct in church for almost 2 years now. I have it dialed-in perfectly and I don't miss an amp at all. It's just like my AC15 set at edge-of-breakup. I run mine after drives but before boost, delays and reverb to simulate an effects loop of an amp (a tip I learned here). Works like a charm.

5. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I have the Blonde, and agree with halfmanhalfgear's assessment of it. I would like to see Tech21 introduce a new Character Series product, that combines the capability of the Blonde, Liverpool, and British into one pedal unit. It would be great if it were programmable like the Blonde Deluxe in the Private Stock Collection, with similar input/output/effects loop features.

6. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Been using the Liverpool (v1) for a long time now.

Only ever used it direct, never in front of a guitar amp, I don't see the purpose of that and I don't believe that was the intention for the product in the first place.

I run it as clean as possible, character at around 2 o'clock, drive all the way down. My delays go before it.

I might try the British sometime, just to see. Sometimes I'd like a little more bottom end when using the Strat but by that same token, the Liverpool sits right where it needs to in the mix.

7. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I tried it in front of my AC15 as a OD pedal. Didn't sound horrible, didn't sound great. Although it should be noted that I didn't change the settings from my direct settings so I am sure that was the issue.

But yeah, it was made to go direct.

8. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I think the Liverpool would meet your needs. It has a lot of gain on tap. If plugging into an amp, you will likely need drastically different EQ settings compared with direct, in my experience, even if you get a V2 pedal with the speaker sim defeat.

9. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

My suggestion to anyone using these preamps in front of an amp, if you have an FX loop, plug it into the Return. You'll bypass the pre-amp of your amp and the results may be more pleasing.

I've experimented with this at home with my amp just for kicks and the result weren't bad, though of course I can't turn off the speaker sim with my one.

10. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

I have a Leeds and I love it. It cleans up well (not as clean as a Blonde or a Liverpool), and takes pedals like a champ. My main ODs are a Barber Gain Changer (for light breakup) and a Barber Compact Direct Drive (for British tones).

The Leeds is set to light dirt - think early Who, "I Can't Explain" - and the other pedals push it, both individually and stacked. The GC into the CDD is monsterous.

My Leeds feeds a Power Engine 60. No tubes for me. Live, I can run an XLR out of the PE60 to the board and use the PE60 as a monitor.

All that having been said, I'd like to pick up a Liverpool as well. and maybe a Blonde (I have a Fly Rig 5, and the Blonde is nice). The Orange looks super-interesting. As does the British..... eventually I will own those 5. And maybe a used California.

But to me, the Leeds is a nice bridge between the JTM and Vox.

11. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

so, you can get the british to a fairly clean setting? or maybe i'm confusing that with the leeds model as i thought they can't do a solid clean sound

12. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

Sure, all but the US Steel /Metal can get real clean if needed.

Peace,

Rob.

13. emkbop

emkbop Member

I use both a Blonde and Liverpool for my "amps" on my pedalboard. The Blonde is set pristine clean. The Liverpool is set for a mild drive. My drives are Bad Monkey, Gain Changer and a Small Fry. I have been quite impressed with the results.