Tech21 Double Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HeavyMetalNyge, Feb 6, 2006.

1. HeavyMetalNyge

HeavyMetalNyge Member

Anyone ever try this pedal. I just recently won one on ebay (I think it was an impulse buy cause it was only $50). Anyone know how heavy of a distortion I can get with this thing? Is it even any good. If not I'm putting it right back on ebay.

2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

its a ctually a pretty good overdrive - you can dial in a good variety of tones- its a little pedal sounding at some points, but it has its uses....

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I had one and thought it was a pretty good pedal. Generally "musical" sounding distortion, as opposed to buzzy, and a useful tone control. IIRC it was a bit noisy at high gain settings. At $50 you may have the "Bad Monkey" of distortion pedals.

4. jman

jman Supporting Member

i also liked the DD along with the comptortion and Bachman pedals...they can all get some pretty ridiculous sustain,especially the tortion' and AW.

5. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Not a bad pedal at all. Very useful. Some cool Black Crowes type tones if I remember correctly.

6. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

It's a little 'rounder' then I'm used too but It's a very good box. Marc Ribot replaced his RAT with it & so that's why I was curious about it. You do have to watch the hiss when using hi-gain though.
    Cheers
    Lou

7. billygoat

billygoat Member

I liked it, but found it had to be way louder than unity to breathe...if that makes any sense. Lived on my board for 18 mos. and that's pretty good. I really liked the silent switching, and it had a good buffer.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I've had one for 2 years now and its my goto "marshall" pedal through my fender amps. It's a really good rock rhythm pedal IMO and it can get pretty gainy. The Barber direct drive I bought off the forum to replace the DD was not the improvement I had hoped for and was promptly put up for sale. The Double drive was less congested in the mids, more open sounding and less compressed. I preferred the Barber's low end though.

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I've owned mine for about 6 years; it is a GREAT pedal. It was my first choice for use on the Bogner Shiva's clean channel for an "OD" type of sound.