Tech21 OMG experience?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by harrymaes, Mar 9, 2015.

1. harrymaes

harrymaes Member

Anyone want to share their experience with the OMG pedal from Tech 21?

2. harrymaes

harrymaes Member

No one played or bought this?

3. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Bump. I'm interested too.

4. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Considering the majority of TGP members in the western hemisphere are at work during the time between your posts, I suggest you may get some responses in a few hours... :aok

Memphistokid likes this.
  5. scolfax

scolfax Member

6. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I have several Tech21 products, each of which could cover sounds which i wanted.

I wasn't familiar with Kotzen, and looking him up, I found that nothing he has been involved with has engaged my personal interests.

I suspect that copping Kotzen's tone might not be a huge quest for a lot of people, and that's probably why you're not seeing anyone who has sought this out in the even-more-limited group of guitarists who are TGP members who are questing for Kotzen's tone.

I'm interested too, but only in seeing if anyone responds.

7. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Hard to cop Kotzen's tone with a pedal.
    I'd say it would be more impossible than
    most tone pursuits.... mostly because
    he plays with his fingers and has a really
    unique style.

8. ari

ari Member

The FlyRig version seems to be getting more attention than the stand-alone OMG pedal. I myself am very interested as well, but they don't seem to be circulating very well.

ari

9. harrymaes

harrymaes Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm not interested in copying RK's tone, just interested in the pedal. I can play with pick and/or fingers so it's not so hard to copy his style. I'd rather prefer to use my own style. :D

Biggest diff between the Fly Rig RK5 and the OMG is the girth knob (mid control) which seems very useable according to a friend of mine.
    Just wanted to know if anyone used/tried it and wants share their opinion?

10. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Until Tech 21 puts a regular Tubescreamer on the Fly Rig, I don't think the sales of it will be great. The majority of players I've gigged with just need some dirt, not an avalanche of distortion.

11. jchan

jchan Member

I have the FR5 and wish that it did allow for more mids. I like the FR5 but wish it had more mids, it gets a bit lost in a band mix. I do find that a TS in front of it helps though.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  12. jchan

jchan Member

The FR5 and RK5 (integrated units with sansamp and delay) both have have the same knobs with the RK5 being voiced more as a TS with more mids. The OMG and Hot Rod Plexi are the stand-alone pedals, with the OMG pedal having the "girth" knob.

13. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

The OMG section of my RK5 gives me great VH type tones and can do lots of smooth fat leads or scooped chugging type trpes of tones. It a very fun pedal on all settings. Its the kind of pedal that will impart a lot of its own character into your tone which is fine with me as I didn't want a subtle pedal. It also cleans up very well with my strats volume knob.

14. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I don't think I've ever had an OMG experience with a Tech21 product, but I use and very much like some of their products. I've had a GT2 for a long time that I've used for this and that and always goes in my gig bag as a backup. Using my Leeds and PE-60 tonight and it will sound great.

Peace,

15. BernardM

BernardM Supporting Member

For edge-of-breakup remember that the Boost on an RK5 is independent of the OMG drive section. So best way to get edge-of-breakup is to set up the SansAmp for a warm clean just before it starts to get gritty, and then boost that (leaving the OMG drive off). Means that the pedal overall has 4 different tonal possibilities:
    - SansAmp alone (grit controlled by 'drive' knob)
    - SansAmp plus boost (edge-of-breakup)
    - SansAmp plus OMG (medium gain)
    - SansAmp plus OMG plus boost (lots of gain)

And that's if you're just using the pedal into PA. If you are playing into an amp so that you don't need the SansAmp, then you have lots more options again as you get to use your SansAmp on the pedal just as a mild boost/drive stage rather than needing it for pre-amp emulation.

16. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

The comment was made months ago but is still lol funny as hell! Western hemisphere. ....