Tech21 RK5 Arrived Today

DivineTones

I've been getting tired of lugging my MkV, 2x12 recto cab, 3U rack, pedalboard, and all the cables and junk that goes with that setup to rehearsals and back. It's a chore to do just for performances, but necessary with all the stuff I need for the actual live show.

So, for awhile now I've been thinking about maybe getting a smaller head and mini-board, or something like the H&K Grandmeister36 with the built in effects. I'd seen the Kotzen adverts in various guitar mags, but didn't even really take the time in the past to read them to figure out what the RK5 pedal was about. Just never really caught my eye.

For whatever reason, I read one this week, thought, "Oh man! That's exactly what I've been looking for!" Read some reviews, ordered one from Sweetwater this week, and it arrived today. Such a great sounding and functioning pedal for what it does! It's such a relief that I can throw that little thing into my gigbag, along with two cables, and have an amp sim, drive, boost, tape echo with tap, and reverb all at hand. And it sounds great, too. The drive and the delay especially. All analog, and nicely voiced.

Super cool, and only like $250-ish. Just thought I'd pipe in to get the attention of anyone else who may be trying to figure out how to lighten their load for rehearsals. Certainly not a "full spectrum" rig, but for a good, solid sound that covers all the basics, I don't know that you could do much better.

DivineTones

Ran it through the power amp section of my Mesa tonight. For rehearsals it will be straight to the PA through the onboard SansAmp circuit. One guitar, one RK5, and two cables. That's it!

El Mariachi

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for posting this! I just got mine yesterday. Your comments are spot on! Very excited about having this as an option. I bought it primarily to carry as a backup, but I may end up using it in more than I thought. :)

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've played both the Flyrig and the RK5, and I have to admit to lusting after the RK5 much more. It just sounds "right". I'm still waiting for a cheap one, used, but hopefully it'll turn up soon!

rublalup

I just gigged the rk5 for the first time last saturday. I have mine as a rehearse / backup rig and always used my 11R + midi controller as my main system.

We scheduled a gig in a restaurant terrace and many of the songs where just clean + delay and some od here and there.

The rk5 delivered the tones man. Going into my power engine 60 (not mic´ed) it sounded awesome. And I set up/down in only one trip from/to my car.

This is a great sounding device... I´m now having a hard time trying to justify bringing the 11R to a gig again... is very simple setup, but compared to the rk5 it seems like a lot of trouble now.

Trending Topics