Tech21 Trademark 60 Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mercury25, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

I am very happy the clean channel on my TM60, but I can't seem to find a setting for channel 2 that sounds good live -- it always seems too buzzy and processed (I know, duhh it's a modeling amp)

What settings do you use for channel 2, or do you just use the clean cannel with pedals?

If you use pedals for OD/dist, what are you using?

Thanks!

2. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

The tech 21 always had this "sizzle" for lack of a better term in the distorted tones that I was never able to quite dial out. I usually ran the drive at 10 oclock, the growl at 1-2 o'c and the low and high about at 2. The weep only made it muddy and I never used that.

I never got into pedals on the clean channel. Still a great amp and very flexible for the price.

3. Jon

Jon Member

I've found that the 'sizzle' on the overdrive channel too noticeable live in a band mix. Having said that, I tend to use pedals on the clean channel for most of my drive tones - I've got great results with a Keeley TS9 for low gain, and Barber Direct Drive SS and Barber Burn Unit for a range of different drive tones from a "fat boost' to higher gain sounds. I prefer the clean channel with the bite switch on, and the drive and punch controls all the way off (although this reduces the overall volume of the amp so if I'm not plugged into a Power Engine 60 as well, I'll sometimes up the drive to about 11 o'clock which adds only a little bit of hair to the sound but increases the overall volume quite a bit.

I wish they'd bring out a higher-volume combo - the TM120 was a different beast and didn't sound as good IMO (strange, as the preamp for each channel appeared to be the same format as the GT2 pedal which I think is great). A TM200 combo with the same pre-amp as the TM60 but a louder output section would be great.

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I loved channel one and stayed away from channel two.

5. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

i took the Trademark 60 chassis, got it into a head form, run it into a 2x12 cab with Eminence Red Fangs, that got rid of most of the buzz!!

channel 2,i use the gain around 1:00 and the growl about 2:00, low at noon, high at 4:00.

i use a compressor in front of the amp at all times. i use a couple drive pedals in front of the clean channel and all are set to different levels of gain.

delay and chorus in the loop.

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I usually used Channel 2 for a gritty "clean", and used Channel 1 in full balls out Tweed mode.

Mike

7. PaddyBrumson

PaddyBrumson Member

I've never found a setting for channel 2 that I liked with the guitar volume up and the amp volumn up. I can get some nicer less buzzy sounds with the amp volumn way up and pulling the volumn back on the guitar. You can get some good sounds that way, but of course you don't have as much volumn to work with.

8. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I never could get anything I liked out of channel 2 so I sold it.. wanted to like it bad.. even my wife said something that it sounded bad, and she never says anything gear related... maybe I had a bad one

9. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Analog yes, modeling no.
    To help with the perceived buzzy sound, change out the stock speaker for something higher powered like a Celestion Neodymium G12 Century.
    I use an MXR EQ in the loop & a Lovekraft MojoDrive & get great results IMO.

10. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

I guess a $220 speaker should make an amp I paid $240 for sound better!

So Wolfpack do you just use the clean channel w/ the Mojo or does the 2nd channel sound better with the new Celestion?

I've also heard of the Eminence Wizard being a good swap.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  11. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

+1, Channel 2 sounds really mushy and harsh to me. There is definately no tube growl here. I use pedals into channel 1 and get good enough results for rehearsals and a backup amp.

Someone mentioned that they really wanted to like this amp. Me too! 32 lbs. and a solo boost, footswitchable loop, and decent reverb. Its just too bad about channel 2.

12. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

Yup, this is my experience too--sounds fine jamming by yourself at home, but gets lost in the mix live and sounds buzzy when you turn it up.

FWIW, I use a Bad Monkey and OCD in front, trem and delay in the loop on channel 1.

13. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

One more to the chorus of "use channel 1 with an OD and forget channel 2." I used one on a gig, and that's what I ended up doing. The overdrive available on Channel 1 was MORE than enough for my rock gig, and I just used OD on particularly heavy parts. Solo boost is wicked good, too.

As I recall, I used my Sparkle Drive and liked it for solos.

I also sold the Trademark 60. Couldn't forgive them for making channel 2 so bad sounding.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yup, this is what worked for me. I could never relate to the ch. 2 distortion, but it does a decent clean. Then ch. 1 can be used for a nice bluesy overdrive and pushed with a pedal when needed. In the end, though, I decided I was better off with a really good clean amp and a pedalboard... The kids at church rock out with the TM60 in the youth room now, and they don't mind the buzz...

15. tats_dragon

tats_dragon Member

Got rid of mine because of channel 2. Recently tried it thru a new closed back Laney 2x12 cab thinking the stock speaker was the culprit.....still do not like the sound.
    It might sound better thru a Thiele cab with an EVM.

Jun

16. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I replaced the stock speaker with a Eminence Wizard and the tone and volume improved quite a bit, also in order to get a decent sound from Channel 2 you have to run the master treble higher than the bass otw it's just to muddy sounding. Overall, for a ss amp it sounds pretty good but it would never replace my tube amps.

17. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

add me to the chorus of not much fond of channel 2. I have the same problem with the Sansamp as well.. just some "metallic" kindof edge to it, and not in a way that I like very well.

18. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

It just didn't have the clean headroom, and I grew to hate the EQ configuration. If they built a louder version with a Character preamp (or two), I'd be interested again.

19. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

the Trademark 60 is a good amp if you are a country to classic rock player. it nails 70's rock tones and is stellar for classic to modern country.

i would not use it for anything modern rock....at least not without many hours of pedal experiments.

20. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

It is also a killer Rockabilly amp. When I had my '53 Gretsch Jet it sounded great with this amp. I could get those early small amp tones with it.

Mike