Tech21 Trademark Or Roland Cube?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Simon, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I started a thread a few days ago regarding getting a decent solid state amp that I could keep in Florida for fly gigs.

I narrowed it down to the Tech 21 30 or 60 or the Roland Cube XL40 or 80.
    Large variety of music, no jazz or metal, and not a very loud band.

If you've played these and have an opinion please let me know.
    Or if you have another suggestion I'm open.

Thanks,

Simon

2. songofthewind

songofthewind Member

Tech21 TM60 is a great amp.

3. rsm

rsm Member

Responded in the other thread. Dig the Cube-80GX, I have them on amp stands, not getting the foot switch as I'd need two; I just ordered a GT-100 to use for effects in front of the 2 Cubes as a stereo rig; they have direct out as well, not sure if the 40 does? The 80 also has bright switch on the JC-120 clean channel that I find I'm using - gets the Cure guitar tones for Jumping Someone Else's Train...lots of tones in these little amps...they get plenty loud too

4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

I've never owned a Roland Cube so I can't give any comparison. But I've owned a TM60 (and a TM30) for years, and I've played dozens of gigs using just my TM60 with a few pedals with great results. The TM 30 is a great little amp too, so depending on actual stage volume you might could get away with it... but the TM60 will deliver what you're seeking without a doubt.

5. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Have a cube, have tried a TM60 (long after I got the cube). I prefer the TM60 tone, in general, and have thought about getting one for awhile. In my case, I have a cube 40 and it's not enough for the small jams. Maybe the 80 would be better.

But, the guys on this forum convinced me to try the Mustang III starting with an empty preset (rather than the factory presets), and I have to say it sounded pretty good. There is a youtube video that shows how to get good clean sounds from the mustang using the Twin, AC15, and one of the other fender amps.

I'd take a look at the mustang...it's made it to my shortlist for an amp to use at a local jam.

6. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Love my TM60s and use them in a pair.
    I do the same in certain situations with a pair of TM10s.

7. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

I love my tm 10.

8. evildik

evildik Member

"There is a youtube video that shows how to get good clean sounds from the mustang using the Twin, AC15, and one of the other fender amps."

I think I've seen that video. If so, it is a Super Sonic.

9. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

Agreed!

10. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Yep, that's it...

I thought his patches sounded really good.

11. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

TM60! I have been gigging non-stop with one for 15+ years. I have or had a bunch of other amps (tube & SS) and like most am still looking. But one thing that will never change, I will always have a TM60. One time I blew something on it, my fault, I was screwing around with speakers. I bought another one the next day! And sent my original back for repair (which Tech21 did for free and only charged shipping)..
    Again, I own other top of the line amps, but it's the TM60 that is the "go to" amp for me.

12. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

The fact that I have my TM60s is the only thing keeping me from buying a new Quilter.

And I really want that new Quilter.

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

You should get the Quilter.

But regarding the OP's question, for the type of music you're playing I'd get the Trademark 60.

I have a TM60, a Cube 60, and a MicroPro 200-8. The Cube 60 is louder than the TM60 but the gain tones aren't as good, also the effects loop and XLR out on the TM60 are a major plus.

The Quilter is a significant step ahead of either but is twice the cost.

14. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

So would the Tech 21 30 just be to wimpy, even for a low volume band?

15. rsm

rsm Member

Can't comment on the Tech 21 30, but if Roland made a Cube-100GX with 1x12" with the same features, I'd have gotten those instead of the 80s. For me, solid state is about usable clean volume "head room" - different than my approach to tube amps. That is, I go for most powerful model that has the sound / features I want.

I'd go for the most powerful version of the amp series you decide. Can always turn down, but it is great to have more "loudness" available IMO... ;)

16. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Problem is I'm buying the amp to keep in Florida and will use it maybe 3 times a yr, the Tech 60 is just a bit more $ then I'd like to spend for this use,, unless I can find a nice deal on a used one.

17. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

The TM60 and the TM30 are radically different animals... I have a TM60 and a TM10 (the TM30 is just the TM10 with a bigger speaker and more output power), and I would probably be happy with either one, a Full-Drive 2 and a good delay pedal, but there are a couple of advantages to the TM60 - the extra power being one, and the footpedal activated BOOST being another... I've got Mesa and Fender tube amps, but the TM60 is the amp I've gigged with the most in my life... Mine's currently in the shop for a much-deserved tune-up (second one in the 16 years I've owned it) but it's been rained on, had crap spilled into it (a beer... an ashtray...), fallen off the gate of a pickup, been knocked over by drunks... It's been through hell and back and it's still kicking... I love my Mark V, but it's hard to beat the light weight, reliability and general bullet proof nature of a TM60....

18. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

TM60's sell used on average for around $350. They can be had for less. IMO that is pretty cheap. I have 2. One is a backup, not that I ever needed it as such. I leave it at the drummer's house where we rehearse once a week. The other one stays at home and goes out on the gigs 2 - 3 times/month.

19. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I don't see any for $350 can you point me in a direction please?

20. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

There are a handful listed on Guitar Center's website in their used inventory... search keyword "Tech 21 Trademark 60" and see! :)