Tech21nyc: Please make a small EQ pedal based on Character series (or other available options?)

minty901

The bass, mid and treble controls of the Tech21 Oxford are perfect for sculpting your guitar's tone as they are very powerful, and the mid frequency/bandwidth is really well-tuned for sitting a guitar in the mix in a pleasant way.

But I don't want the Sansamp or gain portions of the circuit. I just want something like this, where everything at noon means no change to your signal:

From what I've heard and read, the Tone Job's dials are very sublte and not nearly as powerful as the Tech21 EQs (edit: or maybe I'm wrong because the EQD website says the dials have 20db of power... interesting).

Of course my expecting Tech 21 to design and make something just for my own selfishness is a little facetious. Does anyone have any other recommendations for what else can do this job? I really like how the Oxford's frequencies, bandwidths and ranges are dialled in. I'm fairly sure the Liverpool has the same EQ section in it (or at least the mid frequency is the same), but the Blonde definitely doesn't (like the Tone Job, the mid is centred around 1 kHz, which is more honky I think).

From the Tech 21 manuals, here are specifics about the Oxford's EQ section:

MID is custom-tuned to 12dB @ 500 Hz. LOW and HIGH emulate‘70s British console EQ: LOW is custom tuned to: +22dB boost or -12dB cut @ 120 Hz. HIGH is custom tuned to: +30dB boost or -12dB cut @ 2.5 kHz.

Edit: Alternatively, if @tech21nyc can chime in with information about the Q of the mid control in Oxford, and the nature of the low and high EQs (shelf vs low/high-pass) then that would be helpful.

Edit2: I'm presuming that the high and low controls must be shelving EQs, not pass/filters, since the manual mentions the boost/cut in terms of dB, not dB per octave. And, of course, pass/filters doesn't make much sense for boosting, so I guess it was a little silly of me to even question it. OK so I guess I have all the information I need to replicate the Oxford's EQ in a DAW, except for the mid Q.

Last edited:

tech21nyc

You'd be best off trying our Para Driver DI pedal. That has a semi-parametric midrange control and you can also turn off the SansAmp circuit with the Blend control. It's mostly about the midrange. What you're responding to is "post" EQ which is the type of control you have in a recording studio post mic. On the Character series like the Oxford the SansAmp section is the Character Control and Drive section. All the other controls are post which is why they are so powerful.

Our EQ controls are more of a medium Q that works great for general tone shaping on guitar.

augur

Tech21 EQ is much more efficient than Tone Job you are right.
I had a Tone Job and have a Tech21 Leeds.
Mid knob and Q is very efficient, I understand your post.
I don't know if other EQ works similar.

minty901

You'd be best off trying our Para Driver DI pedal. That has a semi-parametric midrange control and you can also turn off the SansAmp circuit with the Blend control. It's mostly about the midrange. What you're responding to is "post" EQ which is the type of control you have in a recording studio post mic. On the Character series like the Oxford the SansAmp section is the Character Control and Drive section. All the other controls are post which is why they are so powerful.

Our EQ controls are more of a medium Q that works great for general tone shaping on guitar.
Thank you for the suggestion. I was hoping for something smaller than the Para Driver DI though.

DaveKS

Well any pedal once you take out the drive/character circuit out of it, if it has a good EQ it will be pure and naturally subtle, only moving freq around what you tell it to. Adding only those freq adjustments. That's what a good EQ is.

Empress ParaEQ perhaps?

I'd also like to give a Dr. Scientist the Cleanness a try, with its 3 band, clean blend and mild dirt circuit might be a good choice.

Trending Topics