1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

technical power ? hot or cold?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Guitarplayerdan, May 19, 2011.

1. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

So im building a board. And i bought an Iec connector to go on the outside. So I cut the end off a voodoo labs iso 5 iec cable. I know green is ground. And i think black is hot white is not. Could any one tell if im right and what ends i need to soldier to on the iec connector. I know the top prong is ground= green.

I dont have a mult metter and no money to buy one. THis is a build project for a friend. I cant seem to make sense of what im reading online. Thanks guys

2. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

3. smallsnd/bigsnd

smallsnd/bigsnd Member

4. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

thanks... like i said broke to the bone. but if i could get one. how would i think know what to do.

5. shango

shango Member

I was going to offer a donation, but I don't know if you'd have the time to wait for shipping. I have a few cheap meters laying around that I don't need. Let me know if you want one.

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

I wouldn't trust color codes. For example, black is ground for electronic circuits, yet it's hot for house wiring.

7. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

its my first board. Ill try and convince my friend to buy one for payment. THis board is pretty sick.

8. Structo

Structo Member

When looking at the IEC connector from the plug in side, with the middle prong on the bottom, the right prong is hot, middle is ground and left is neutral.

Green is the color code for ground, black hot, white neutral.

9. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Check the IEC connector, it is probably labeled.

10. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

Thanks for the advice guys. ALthough. I looked at the iec connector i have on the side of the pedalboard. And with the "GROUND" middle prong on the bottom (so lower than the left and right prongs). It says L (which im guessing is "live") to the left and then N on the right. Thats if I have the ground prong on the bottom. Is that normal? Thanks again!

11. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

A 5$ multimeter is really out of reach and your cutting peoples cords and putting them back together and you aren't sure if your right and somebody elses gear could suffer for it.

Tell you what, save yourself some emberassment and have your friend pick up a meter locally and give it to you. He will appreciate it even if you can't quite get into the idea of owning one.

12. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

That's because of where it was made.

Over in oceania, the black is not "hot" as you say, but American made/manufactured gear has the black as "hot".

13. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Black or L is hot, white or N is neutral, green is ground.