• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Techniques for dealing with GAS...

Snail

We all love our gear, but sometimes it gets a bit out of hand and becomes a kind of affliction (or addiction?). This place is great, but it can feed that sometimes. Just someone starting a thread entitled "I can't believe how good X is!" and the instant GAS reverberations are palpable.

Just wondering what the collective wisdom has to say about techniques that can help us when GAS starts getting a bit too much.

What do you do to relieve your GAS pangs (besides succumbing and buying more gear)? Are there activities, lines of reasoning, techniques you use that help? Staying away from certain websites? Taking a nice hot bath (what I'm about to do right now)?

Let people know, and maybe you can help someone in need...

redpill

Stay away from this place, and play as much as you can. Get yourself obsessed with mastering someone else's song, or writing a new one of your own. Try to get a new and different sound out of the gear that you have - in other words, stop chasing a single one. That causes me to get *less* gear, not more, because it gets em thinking in tyerms of multiple tones, not one holy grail that we think is one tone we always hearin our heads, but in reality is a moving target that we can never hit.

rob2001

Odds are, most of us already have nice gear and nice tone....go and play for a while! Works for me.

jingobah

Never ever look at the "Your Pedalboard Photo" thread....

Find what works for you & then when your pedalboard is done & you are happy with it...drag your computer to the middle of the street & beat the crap out of it with a baseball bat.

eclipseall

I think the best GAS reliever is experience. Ive been through so many pedals that Im pretty much set on what I like but most importantly on waht I dont like.

You hear lots of opnions regarding pedals but the truth of the matter is, unless you have identical set ups or the same set of hands, some elses opnion could really stir you the wrong way.

Also, manufactures really over do it with all the marketing hype regarding tru bypass, tonal purity, no tone coloration, built like a tank etc....Its all meanningless unless it works for you. True Bypass is not always the best thing, tone coloration might be just waht you need etc....

GAS is relieved when you use your own ears regarding of any manufacturing mearketing scheme or the internet "expert opinion" that everyone seems to have. The only way to get there is through your own experience though. Im afraid that there are no short cuts to the tone in your head.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Stay away from the internet.
Stop buying guitar magazines.
Actually play and enjoy the stuff you have instead of obsessing over what you don't have.

gururyan

I've finally admit I have a GAS problem and will be unloading thousands of dollars of pedals in the coming weeks.

...be sure to visit the emporium soon, mwah ha haaa.

this1smyne

i can sell 'em (after much deliberation) but than always find myself trading/buying etc. it is a viscious cycle, only fun when it works into a sweet amp or guitar. i found that building pedals helped curve it a bit, as well as writing music and staying busy. (working out? maybe not that hard).

alguit

Silver Supporting Member
Take Beano, and there'll be no gas...no wait, that's the food product...ummm, urrrrr, by a "Beano" pedal and enjoy the GAS! :)

Seriously, it can be fun when one has some money to play with, which I used to but no longer do...now, I like the challenge of taking what I have and finding the best "alchemy" of pedals.

Of course, it would help if these darned builders were creating so many cool pedals! My non-guitar playing friends relentlessly mock me (and other guitarists) for my "toys"!

thetangmang

Give yourself a firm quota, like one new piece of gear every 4 months or something. I have a friend who doesn't buy gear or trade anything until he either solidified an A in a class towards his major (and not on electives) or until he had a guitar breakthrough (like mastering a technique).

zachman

We all love our gear, but sometimes it gets a bit out of hand and becomes a kind of affliction (or addiction?). This place is great, but it can feed that sometimes. Just someone starting a thread entitled "I can't believe how good X is!" and the instant GAS reverberations are palpable.

Just wondering what the collective wisdom has to say about techniques that can help us when GAS starts getting a bit too much.

What do you do to relieve your GAS pangs (besides succumbing and buying more gear)? Are there activities, lines of reasoning, techniques you use that help? Staying away from certain websites? Taking a nice hot bath (what I'm about to do right now)?

Let people know, and maybe you can help someone in need...
* Know what form the finished rig will take before you start buying ANYTHING.
* Know what gear WILL do what you're after-- NOT "close enough"-- Top Shelf.
* Know how much control you want to have
* Know how much flexibility/versatility you want now and try to accurately predict what you may want in the future
* Buy the Best gear to start with, and remove the need to upgrade

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
When you do something good in the world, only then, reward yourself with another pedal.

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
But those amps and cabinets that those guys are using are enough to give you gas like no other.

Trending Topics