Tectrum Guitar picks (Northern California content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pboudreau, Feb 15, 2009.

1. pboudreau

pboudreau Member

Does anyone use or have even heard of this pick maker who appears to be out of business? They were available 5 or 6 years ago in N. California. I would love to find out the material used which looks like no material I have ever seen or used.

2. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

I tried them out and they were pretty cool, not my speed though--ended up liking V-picks best. Tectrum's are made of titanium BTW...

3. pboudreau

pboudreau Member

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! You have no idea how long I have been trying to find out what the hell they were made of. Titanium. Now I just need to find a source of this material so that I can cut my own. I just bought you an imaginary six pack. I've worn mine down to nubs and cannot use anything else. Very important to my sound

4. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Titanium is pretty easy to find but rather expensive right now. Plus, there are some issues cutting it properly...especially to a thickness you are likely looking for. Check with some of your local machine shops to see if they can hook you up with a scrap piece of material.

5. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  6. pboudreau

pboudreau Member

Thanks for your help.I contacted them last week and they are out of business. They also have none of these picks left to sell. I really did not know what titanium was exactly but after having done research it appears I have Tectrum picks that were made of a material other than titanium as mine have heavily worn down and the material appears to be a sort of plastic, hologram material. It resembles China made hologram guitar pickguard material I have seen advertised on the web.

7. alanwf

alanwf Member

Mcmaster Carr sells titanium sheet stock in several likely thicknesses. Here's the link:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#titanium/=nrptp

I've never worked with it, so can't tell you the best way to cut the shape out; after that, I imagine it's mainly fine sanding to radius all the edges.

Alan

8. tectrum

tectrum Member

To all those interested in obtaining TECTRUM guitar picks please contact me. I will sell you some. sincerely tectrum.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  9. trackMatic

trackMatic Member

Tectrum also makes a thin pick made out of some sort of infused
    Fiber material they soften at the ends after use, great for recording
    Acoustic guitars. Tectrum do you still make those I need two dozen

10. tectrum

tectrum Member

what color are they? tectrum