Ted Nugent or Gary Moore?

boo radley

I'm not a big fan of either one of them and don't like Nugent much as a human. Don't like Ted's voice either.

But, Nugent can play the guitar. Just before EVH hit the scene, he was probably the most innovative showman on stage that had the chops to back it up.

Agree 100% on the first two sentences. I respect Moore's talents, and put him in the category of Rory Gallagher - really good, but I can't imagine ever intentionally listening to them.

Less certain on your last sentence. There were a hell of a lot of guitar players in the 70's with adult-sized chops, and in terms of showmanship, Nugent struck me as a one-man Kiss. But better chops and a shtick aimed at 14-year olds instead of 12 year-olds.

Alchemist XP

Agree 100% on the first two sentences. I respect Moore's talents, and put him in the category of Rory Gallagher - really good, but I can't imagine ever intentionally listening to them.

Less certain on your last sentence. There were a hell of a lot of guitar players in the 70's with adult-sized chops, and in terms of showmanship, Nugent struck me as a one-man Kiss. But better chops and a shtick aimed at 14-year olds instead of 12 year-olds.

I was mostly talking about Nugent's on stage showmanship ... he definitely took it to another level. Plenty of great guitar players for sure in the 70's that I liked much more than Nugent, but the sheer energy and athleticism of his performances were pretty noteworthy.

Twoinch

Nugent all day.

I've never once purposefully put on a GM tune.. Lynnot was thin lizzy imo.

As a showman.. Song writer... Energy.. Passion.. Consistency.. Memorable riffs.. Aminor pentatonic... Groupies... Nugent wins hands down.

Yam the BOMB

Blues Dentist
Platinum Supporting Member
I liked both. Had all the albums in their earlier years. But Gary’s albums just never made it into heavy rotation other than his Thin Lizzy stuff. His songs just weren’t there. And neither of those guys can sing. Gary did OK on Empty Rooms but other than that, please don’t sing.

Ted had the songs, the stage show, the great singer (Derek St. Holmes) and killer tone and he is a fantastic player with his own style. I’ve spent much more time listening to him.

The fact that he LIKES to say controversial things to take stabs at the other political side is occasionally funny, usually I would rather do without it. And I hate if anyone makes their show about politics. If I’m there for rock n roll give me rock n roll. If I want to hear about politics I’ll go to one of those rally’s. Keep them separate.

markjsmith

Silver Supporting Member
Playing wise Gary Moore, sadly his shred phase gets overlooked. His cover of Shapes Of Things has a burning solo. I love some of the old Nugent tunes (especially Stranglehold and Hey Baby-not much else) and dug the 70's Ted but can't stand anything he's done since. I never really thought he was a great guitarist though, even back then.
As far as the whole political pundit BS-I'm a conservative and even I think most of the BS that comes out of his mouth is asinine.

Man with Gas

Gary Moore for me by a country mile.

I'm gonna be the odd & honest one to say it.........I actually agree with what most of Nugent says.
Strip away the emotion and group think and Nuge ain't wrong 95% of the time. He's human and he's entitled as anyone else to say what he believes. There's far worse than Nuge walking around and being broadcast.

Gspspinone

Silver Supporting Member
Gary Moore for me by a country mile.

I'm gonna be the odd & honest one to say it.........I actually agree with what most of Nugent says.
Strip away the emotion and group think and Nuge ain't wrong 95% of the time. He's human and he's entitled as anyone else to say what he believes. There's far worse than Nuge walking around and being broadcast.
Agree but prefer Nuge over Moore…Moore isn’t even my favorite Thin Lizzy guitarist (Gorham or Robertson).

rwmct

Ted Nugent: Blathering big-mouth? It's a shame what he's done to Ted Nugent: Rock Star's legacy.

I don't see how anything he does can affect his rock legacy. The tracks are what they are. The shows were what they were. None of it can be affected by subsequent developments.

Buddhist#6

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
I don't see how anything he does can affect his rock legacy. The tracks are what they are. The shows were what they were. None of it can be affected by subsequent developments.
Many myself included are turned off by his “antics” etc… that I can’t even listen to the music. Many people in the general public know him more for politics and antics than the music, at least in my observation and experience.

Top Bottom