Ted Nugent's PV 6505 on VH1s Super Group

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gulliver, Jul 6, 2006.

1. gulliver

gulliver Member

Anyone see him with sebastian bach and friends? Kind of a dumb show, but The Nuge playing through a Peavey 6505 with a LP sounded unbelievable. Of course, he's one of those players that doesn't need high gain to play, but I have to say the medium gain coming out of that amp was awesome.

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

I just watched it and you're absolutely right, his tone was killer!! Especially on TNT, Sin City, and Stranglehold..... Sounded awesome. I would of liked to see/hear the entire show.

I didn't care for Scott Ians tone FWIW.

3. mojo69

mojo69 Member

kind of a dumb show? i must have just switched channels before they showed any gear. i just couldn't take it any more.

their next stop will be vintage guitar magazine. old men, old guitars -
    could anyone create a more boring/lame mix?

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Actually, I quite enjoyed the show. <shrug>

That amp's essentially a 5150 no?

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Jeez, you just can't please anyone.

I loved it. I watched every episode. It was fun to see the mentality of these guys who have talent, but with almost everyone but Ted, it was more luck than destiny. Bach's (undeserved) Diva attitude was interesting to watch. I found by far the most sympathetic and down to earth characters were Scott Ian and Jason Bonham. Not sure why they picked up the bass player, but I guess schedules probably forced it.

And Ted's tone was excellent. It really gave me respect for those amps. Of course he probably had them modded, but through the Lester, he sounded great.

6. big mike

Evan Seinfeld from BioHazard

Edit: Oh fine. Delete your question as I answer it and look like a moron. LOL :D

7. japhy

japhy Member

The Peavey Ted had on stage was a dummy . I'm almost positive that he had a 100 watt, silverfaced Twin ,with all of the knobs on 7, un-mic'd behind that stack. I'm pretty sure that I'm right , I must be. :AOK

8. big mike

Nah, he hasn't used Fender in years. Was using the 5150's for a long time.

9. japhy

japhy Member

Dude , try not to piss on my delusions .

10. big mike

Sorry man, Yeah SF 150 watters, and 2 Showman heads man. Peavey heads were empty boxes.:crazy :crazy

11. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Wasnt really knocking him, as he was clearly talented. But his credentials in that group were a little suspect...comparatively.

I guess Geddy Lee was otherwise occupied! ;)

12. big mike

Not at all bro. Someone else posted 'Who did he play with' and then deleted....right after I answered. LOL:Spank

13. Critter

Critter Member

The 6505 is the exact same as the 5150 except the looks and the 6505+ is the 5150 II. Althought earlier models were made with a little better parts it seems. Also distortion and gain are often confused. What I have read on the amps is that they are on the edge of the gain threshold between gain and feedback squeal. Look at two pedal one with a tube and one that has a totally compressed distortion. The difference is one has a great tube gain sound and the other has a great solid state distortion sound. Both good pedals but one has distortion the other has gain...

AMPS 5150 II full stack and 5150 II half stack and Rivera R 100 and KHR100 with 412 and los lobottom Sub 2

Guitars Ibanez S540 R540 Jem7dbk Jem77fp Jem7Vwh Gibson les paul XR1, Sudio lite. Fender USA fat Tele USA Deluxe strat and a bunch of other crap I don't need but can't seem to part with..

14. rastaman

rastaman Member

I'm sorry Big Mike! I had put 2 and 2 togethor when I remembered Ted talking about Biohazard so I checked out their site and deleted my uneducated question.:jo

Now I'm the one who looks like a moron :crazy

15. ned911

ned911 Member

The only difference between the earlier block logo 5150's and later 5150/6505's was a change in the stock tubes which of course led to a sound change. And Ted has been playing 5150/6505 for a couple of years now.

16. gulliver

gulliver Member

The amp sounded like it was set up for very little preamp tube distortion and mostly power tube distortion ... like a clean channel on 11. I've owned several Peavey products and know some of their stuff has problems with clipping the power tubes by design. Maybe not on this amp.

17. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I used to own a Red Bear amp that Nuge had formerly owned. Didn't care for it and sold it years ago. It was the MK 60 head.

18. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

If you watch that final show closely you will see that there is some sort of a combo amp (looks like a silverfaced Twin to me) on the side of the stage facing in. It's almost totally off of the stage, like it's trying to be hid. Not sure how that amp plays into Ted's tone, but it is there.

19. sws1

sws1 Member

Nothing in that tone reminded me of a cranked Twin. Souned like 5150 all the way. Just turned up very loud.

20. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

The whole premise of that damn show was to write at least one killer tune...have they done that yet? I have tuned and watched portions (I can only take so much of their stupidity...) of several episodes...but no good listening yet...it sucks you in, craps on you and gives you no musical meat...