Teddy's new toys!! (Gibby and Marshall content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teddy boy, Jul 3, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yippee!

I finally received my V.O.S. R8. I had been waiting for this for a couple of months now to arrive at my local store. I suggested they get one in and maybe I could be interested. Once I saw it, I didn't hesitate, I new it had to be mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The guitar feel superb and rings birght and strong acoustically. The neck is nice and fat. I never thought I'd like fat necks but this one just seems to fit my hand perfectly. In order to purchase this I had to sell my LP Standard and SG Standard but I don't really regret either, although I was sure the LP Standard was going to be a keeper forever. This guitar seems so much much more responsive than either of these.... plus it has drop dead looks IMO.

Anyway, I couldn't stop my shopping binge here. Atleast not as long as there was a second hand Marshall Hand Wired 1974X in the same shop. I scored quite a good deal when I bought both. I'd been eyeing these Marshalls for a year now but couldn't justify buying such an expensive amp. The R8 and the 1974X are a perfect combo. The 1974X breaks so early with the R8 and the crunch sounds are amazing. Turn it up and it sounds like molten lava. Blistering distortion, yet pretty articulate in a vintage way. The sound is vrey woody and grainy. Still not terrifyingly loud though surprisingly.Superb! Very reminiscent of the late Yardbirds/early Led Zep. And they look good together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy! I'll ry and fix some audio clips at some stage.

Edit for spelling!

2. karmadave

karmadave Member

Congratulations! Les Paul + Marshall is a classic combination. Enjoy.

-KD

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

:AOK looks great...sounds even better I am sure.

4. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

Very nice! Beautiful LP!

5. erksin

erksin Member

That's a dream set-up for me - LOVE plaintops!

You need to post some clips...

6. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Give me a plaintop burst over flamed anyday.

7. Thwap

Thwap Member

Congrats, R8's rule! You should be set for quite a while now:AOK

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep,

I think I'll be ok for a while now :D:D:D It's funny how some combinations just suit each other so well. The R8 and 1974X seem to be extensions of each other. No pedals needed here either, just stick in the lead and rock!! I was going to buy a small practice tube amp, ála Blues Junior, for home but once I saw this second hand one I jumped on it. I'm glad I did, even more glad that I love in my own house. No neighbours to disturb when I crank it up. Let's see, maybe I'l be using the 1974X on gigs soon too. It's already on a recorded track of ours...

9. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

schweet

i love plaintops

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks guys!

I really dig the attention to detail on the R8. The trapezoid fret markers look really nice and so do the tortoiseshell side markers. I actually thought I had one missing but the guys at LPF enlightened me that it actually was just a lighter piece of tortoiseshell. Makes it quite unique IMO.
    [​IMG]

The V.O.S. light relicing is a really nice feature too. It's going to be fantastic in a couple of years once it gets a little punishment from me too.

11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

So what's up with that weird keyboard? Is that for all those umlauts and stuff? :p

Nice color on that one, BTW!

12. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Nice!! So you just HAD to get yourself a Paul with a long tenon... It's a beauty!

13. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey!! Nice to hear from you! Yep, after seeing your friends R8 I haven't been the same! I knew I had to have one to keep myself sane ;)

14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I can tell you, Teddy's new toys rock! I really love the R8. I always thought Gibsons didn't work for me.. well I guess I wasn't playing the right (good) ones.

And the Marshall.. Got to get one! It sounded great with the R8, but Teddy's Strat shined as well and so did my Tele! Wonderful tones.

15. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Great looking guitar teddy boy-I've been eagerly anticipating that one but now it seems you have the makings of a really nice stereo amp rig too!

16. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

About the Marshall still. I really loved how you could here the speaker cones...the paper in there. I can't explain it, but it's a wonderful sound. And although the amp is nowhere near transparent, I think the beauty lies excactly there. Many people might say it's a one trick pony, but I think it's not the case. And even if it was, I think it's better to have an amp with couple of superb sounds than one with millions of mediocre ones.

Everybody knows how well the 1974x does rock, but we recorded a guitar track with the R8 + the Marshall which was nothing near rock and it worked absolutely great.. It's a track featuring just a violin quartet plus three-part harmony vocals, a quite revealing & demanding place to put electric guitars into. With the tremelo channel, it was magic. Can't wait to do some more recording..

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Realfi, I'm really excited about this setup for sure. It just sounds great! No real need to plug any pedals here. For jamming around it's just plugging straight in. If I were to use it on daisy gigs I would most likely have to use a couple of boxes.

I'm having real trouble putting this guitar down... The best guitar I've ever owned for sure. Everybody get an R8! Sell all your guitar but your amp if you have to!!

18. seanc

seanc Member

You lucky S.O.B!!!

Hahaha, Congrats buddy. I hope you enjoy them.