Tedeschi Trucks Band--Wheels of Soul Tour

mge80

I caught TTB, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings and The Rich Robinson Band (Rich was subbing for Doyle Bramhall II on this stop) Friday night at The State Theater in Minneapolis. What a grand venue that is. Spectacular, to be quite honest.

Anyway, this show is awesome. If anyone is considering it, I HIGHLY recommend it. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings put on a hell of an old school R & B revue. Then, Tedeschi Trucks Band is, IMO, the finest live act currently out there. This show is more than 4 hours of high energy rock and soul with a collection of some of the best musicians around. All of them are at the top of their game. And they all got an opportunity to shine.

Then, for the encore, both TTB and Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, all 25 of them, combined for Tell Mama and a Sly & The Family Stone medley (Sing A Simple Song & I Wanna Take You Higher) and left absolutely nothing out there. The entire place was buzzing when they left the stage.

Again, if you have the chance to see this show, take it. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:

cocobolo

Just saw them at Ravinia here in Chicago. Really liked Derek's new setup. Had more body and bite to it than his usual SR setup. Seemed like the new amps hung with him better and still had some in the reserve. Susan killed me during I Pity the Fool. She really can play and of course her delivery/voice can't be beat. Any guess why the weird wooden wall is between the amps? Was at tonight's show too. Maybe to keep Susan's SR's from being washed out or her vocals?

mge80

Just saw them at Ravinia here in Chicago. Really liked Derek's new setup. Had more body and bite to it than his usual SR setup. Seemed like the new amps hung with him better and still had some in the reserve. Susan killed me during I Pity the Fool. She really can play and of course her delivery/voice can't be beat. Any guess why the weird wooden wall is between the amps? Was at tonight's show too. Maybe to keep Susan's SR's from being washed out or her vocals?
She killed everyone during that song here. The place went nuts. She absolutely nailed it. I don't know about the wall. If you look closely, that piece of wood is behind the amps (easier to see behind Susan's) and then between them. It's one piece that forms something of a "T". The whole thing is on casters, so they roll it out, amps and all. I noticed Derek setting his slide on it from time to time, but I think there's more to it than that. Although it may not serve any larger purpose than a stage prop and something to make it easier to set up and strike the stage, which they have do to pretty quickly on a 3 act, 4+ hour show.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Wooden walls behind the amps, too.

My guess is it's a functional aesthetic choice. Gives it that juke joint look and helps with mic bleed, too.

Fixin to see them in July when they roll through Austin.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
I would go hear DT play Mary Had A Little Lamb.

TTB, great. Haven't seen this iteration but SJ and DK are great.

Still, I have a soft spot for the Yonrico, Todd, Bill, Derek DTB I heard in '98.

Three instrumentals, a vocal. Wash, rinse, repeat. Now that was a jamband.

jeff_lebowski

I would go hear DT play Mary Had A Little Lamb.

TTB, great. Haven't seen this iteration but SJ and DK are great.

Still, I have a soft spot for the Yonrico, Todd, Bill, Derek DTB I heard in '98.

Three instrumentals, a vocal. Wash, rinse, repeat. Now that was a jamband.
agreed man! I prefer the older line up as well.

Saw them multiple times during the early 2000's and every show was one to remember.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I saw the OKC show while Tropical storm Bill was passing over. We were close up, and soaked to the bone. Didn't get there in time for DBii.

I noticed Derek fussing with his high e tuning a few times, and in the end of the last song, he just went all out and abused the SG until the string finally broke. Excellent statement in my observation.

The hilight for me as a gear head was Joe Crispiano. Great tasty comping while acting as Sharon Jones' music director.
I was weak in the knees every time he played something with reverb. Most of the tones were dry and clean (vintage Silvertone-esque into a SF twin reverb I think) so when he used reverb it was pretty drippy and noticeable, to me anyway. I asked him about it on FB, but he hasn't replied to my post.

mge80

The hilight for me as a gear head was Joe Crispiano. Great tasty comping while acting as Sharon Jones' music director.
He started with a 335, broke a string on it early on (1st or 2nd song...Sharon hadn't even come out yet), disappeared for a minute or two, then returned with the "Silvertone-esque" and played it the rest of the night, including the group encore. You can see him with it behind Derek in the 2nd photo above.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Joe's Silvertone in OKC was black with white binding. Binky's Gibson Emporer(?) was equally impressive.

I must say that it was very rewarding to hear Trucks drive the group into some extended jams and watch for the tiny cues that bring the train back onto the rails. I don't get to engage at that level with audio recordings without interruption.
I remember commenting to my lovely and equally drenched wife that the lighting tech must really be locked into Derek to sense the subtle cues to make the changes effectively with the rest of the band.
There's really only 3 overt cues I recognize- the chin/eyebrow lift, the headstock raise, and the full glissando.

mge80

Joe's Silvertone in OKC was black with white binding. Binky's Gibson Emporer(?) was equally impressive.
Yep. Same black and white guitar here. And I was seeing the same little chin/eyebrow lifts that Derek tends to do. During the extended jams on both of the encore songs with all the musicians out there, he gave guitar solos to both Joe and Binky (OK, no one is convincing me that his mama named him "Binky Griptite"), then the horns...several individuals (at least 3, Kebbi from his band and Cochemea Gastelum and Chris Davis of The Dap Kings) as well as the entire horn group. They were on fire. Like I mentioned, they didn't leave anything out there on that Sly medley. And the crowd was totally buzzing on the way out. I'd love to find a way to catch another show later on. Maybe one in Texas next month (got family there that I could "drop in" on ;) )

Last edited:

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I discovered Alicia Chakour via Warren Haynes live DVD/CD. I really wish she would have gotten a little more time to shine beyond that handoff line in "Higher".
Great show overall. Sounds like it is relatively stock setlist, though. Not that it isn't worth seeing it again for the sheer quality of musicianship.

mge80

I discovered Alicia Chakour via Warren Haynes live DVD/CD. I really wish she would have gotten a little more time to shine beyond that handoff line in "Higher".
Great show overall. Sounds like it is relatively stock setlist, though. Not that it isn't worth seeing it again for the sheer quality of musicianship.
I agree. And I also understand that she was something of a last minute addition. I'm really not sure why they added her, to be quite honest. But, maybe due to that fact and due to the fact that they were/are still pretty early on in this tour, is why she doesn't have a bigger role at this point.

I think their set list is relatively stock, but I don't think it's 100% stock night in and night out. At least that hasn't been TTB's M.O. on previous tours. But, even if it were the exact same set list/show, I'd still like to see it again. It was that good, IMO. I just talked to a buddy of mine in Austin earlier today and we're going to try and make it to the show there in July.

Last edited:

Cuthbert

Who was Alecia Chakour playing with? She's the real deal, her Dad was Joe Cocker's musical director back in the day, currently plays keyboards with J. Geils Band.

mge80

Who was Alecia Chakour playing with? She's the real deal, her Dad was Joe Cocker's musical director back in the day, currently plays keyboards with J. Geils Band.
She is singing backup with Tedeschi Trucks Band for the remainder of this tour. Recently (basically right after the tour started) added as the 3rd voice back there.

Last edited:

Trending Topics