Teese me into buying the right RMC!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Nov 8, 2005.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hallelujah!

Got the Menatone KotB now and my rig is reaching its final form. Next I need to replace my standard Crybaby with a Teese and the TU-2 with a Strobostomp. I'm also looking forward to my 2 D*A*M fuzzes that should arrive within 3-4 weeks. Great!

Ok, the wahs are the next problem to tackle. My options are the RMC1, the Wizard wah and the Teese Picture wah.

I heard the Wizard is good for humbuckers which is what my LP has. But is it mainly for heavy guys to use for Zakk Wylde type stuff or is it really a great sounding wah for humbuckers that can be used for any style (in my case mostly indierock/pop).

If the Wizard is a metal wah, then it's a shoot out between the RMC1 and the Picture Wah. I want a smooth, no-nonsense, true bypass wah. Which do you suggest?

best,

Tom

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

3. Just1more

Just1more Member

If you are looking for a modern style wah, get the Wizard. If you want something vintage type, get the WOF wah. Teese sells them direct, they are listed on his site. I have been A/B testing the WOF with an original Clyde script wah, and the WOF hangs with it. If you are going to use fuzzes with the wah, you should get the Foxrox FWR buffer also. It helps a lot to retain the wah tone with a fuzz. Also Geoffrey Teese is such a great guy. His service is amazing, & he is a very helpful guy.

4. theHoss

theHoss Member

I was going to get the Wizzard, but the RMC2 is a bit more, but quite a bit more versitile. You can adjust the sweep range, freq sweep, and volume. You can get it to do the wizzard wah thing, plus a lot more. So you might consider it for the extra $60? Not sure what you budget is.......

FYI,

I play a Les Paul and a Strat, so I liked the versatility (needed)

5. dosmun

dosmun Member

The RMC1 is voiced more for single coils. Although the Wizard works well with HB's I don't think it is considered a metal wah.

6. MattB

MattB Member

I use the Wizard for all applications. I think its sounds great for everything, although I haven't tried the other models. What I think I like most about the Wizard is you don't lose volume when you stomp on it so for solos it seems to boost a bit. My band is mostly Rock, Clean and Crunchy, not metal. I tried a Fulltone Clyde but it didn't sweep much compared to the Wizard. I am also more comfortable with the Crybaby style box. Try em all out (if you can). The RMC2 seems cool because of the adjustability but it is quite a bit more money.

Just my .02

-MattB

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Even though I LOVE my RMC3LE, and I do change it around quite often...there's something in the Picture Wah that sounds just like a wah should sound, IMO.

Classic Wah sound...very vocal.

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I just got a RMC-2 last week and love it. 5 different sounding settings, vol and q controls...$175 used.

9. meterman

meterman Member

I've got a nice old RMC3 for sale in the Emporium, lightweight aluminum casing, tropical fish caps, stack-of-dimes inductor. Very versatile and great sounding wah that can do vintage or modern, lots of possibilities but easy to tweak and really no bad sounds in it.

I've found a great modified JHE setting on my RMC3s and tend to leave it there but it's cool to know I can mix it up if I get bored.....

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111681

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have all three, the Wizard is my favorite. I don't play metal at all but it sounds really good. More "wah" sounding than the others but not overdone. My band actually likes it better as well. Very smooth bass, dense mids and non-ice pick highs.

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The RMC models are cool if you are a tweaker - for me, the Picture Wah does it. If I had a RMC 3 I think I would spend countless hours trying to make it sound like the PW, so I figure, why bother? When it is right, it's right.

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks for the replies. I may settle for the Wizard, although it would be nice to try all of them. I off to London now to do some searching. Hopefully find a place with Teese wahs!

Cheers,

Tom

13. stu42

stu42 Member

Is it only the RMC1 that is not recommended for use with humbuckers or does that also apply to the RMC2 and 3? I was looking at the Wizard wah as well mainly because I definitely do play with humbuckers (as well as single coil).

I haven't heard any of the Teese or Fulltone wahs but I'm definitely interested in that Voodoo Chile thing but like the idea of having something that is somewhat unique or has some tweakability. That said, I think the tweakability in the RMC3 might be a little much for me.

14. Curly

Curly Member

I really like my RMC1, but yeah, it's a hot rodded wah voiced for single coils
    actually, the simplicity appeals to me

15. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

Mr. Teese told me that only the RMC1 is voiced for single coils. RMCs 2 and 3 will work well with HBs and singles. I decided on the RMC2 and I'm very happy with the way it sounds with both my SG and tele. Very versatile, but you won't spend hours tweaking to get the sound you want. I've never tried the wizard, but I'd definitely recommend the RMC2...worth checking out. Mr. Teese also added that he'd mod the RMC2 if it didn't 100% mesh with my setup...nice guy.

16. meterman

meterman Member

For those thinking the RMC3 has "too much" tweakability.....there are a bunch of settings on the Teese website, I found one I liked and have left it there for over a year. Just because you can tweak it endlessly doesn't mean you have to.....it's nice to have the option, the RMC1 and 2 voicings are in there, plus the Pic wah and a whole bunch more. It's not hard to tweak, and when you find a setting you like you can just leave it ;)

17. doublea

doublea Member

I'm thinking of trying a Teese Wah. Are the controls internal or external for the RMC3 wah?

18. modoc

modoc Guest

Hi,
    The RMC3 is all internal. My take on the situation is this. If you want a 'vintage' tone...get the PW, If you want a primarily distortion only wah...get the Wizard, If you want 'your own sound' get the RMC3 and if you can't be stuffed to tweak but want versatility get the RMC-2.
    Of course...theres aways the Silver Machine Wah thats kinda like a cross between the RMC2 and 3, but it looks and feels like those clunky old Morleys for my tastes...sounds awesome though :)

Cheers
    Jase

19. shred-dog

shred-dog Member

+1 for the wheels of fire wah i use it clean and with lots of gain and it is great and i use it with singles and humbuckes . great wah

20. modoc

modoc Guest

Almost forgot...the RMC3 can more or less copy 90% of all other wah's. Have a look on Geoffry's site for the RMC3 tuning examples.