Teese picture wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb1911, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I want one of these, bad, but I have reservations after hearing many people complaining about the pot becoming scratchy. I know he's a great guy and he will fix his products that need to be fixed, but I don't want to buy something that has to be sent back and repaired. Am I being silly or is this an issue?

2. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

A scratchy pot is really no big deal at all. All you need to do is spray some contact cleaner in there and that should fix it. I have a picture wah and it has been great. No problems at all.

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Thanks, I really want to be talked into buying one. Keep 'em comin'

4. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

It's the best wah I've ever stepped foot on if that helps. ;)

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I've had an older version for about 3 years and it hasn't given me any trouble at all.

6. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Yep it is basically BullS++T..You figure a few folks out of a couple thousand have a pot that gets scratchy..But then when is the last time you read a thread about a good Pot?:D Then those folks should have called Teese to be advised to apply some WD=40 or Tuner Lube to the Factory lightly lubed pots.Rarely do they need to be replaced other than they DO wear out.Teese has switched Pots now and has a new one anyway that is sealed.Being a nice guy has nothing to do with his wahs.The man is his own worse critic and is always a few steps ahead of everyone else.You can bet your ass anything changes in an RMC wah it has been tested for at least a year or more.He publicly stated that the CTS pots were not doing their job as well as he wanted. Now it seems to be public domain to advise folks about the CTS short coming. But ya heard it first from Teese. The Man is not a Hype Machine.You have to ask him what has changed and what has stayed the same.Down side to that is all the BS that gets started.LIke the RMCLE's being the only Halo equipped RMC wahs along with the Picture.The Old wahs sound better,etc,etc.I own over a dozen RMC wahs going back to the 90's.Not one of them has failed.But I have worn out some switches and Pots.But the Circuits,and cases still function as new...If you have played a Picture wah and like it you will love the new Ones.I put my reputation on the line every time I step on an RMC wah and they have never let me down.

7. rust1975

rust1975 Member

Just curious, why don't people ever seem to discuss the Wheels of Fire wah? I've only seem clips of that one, but it seems killer. Or is the Picture wah THAT much different and better?

8. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I have the Old style picture wah (without PCB mounted jacks) and it's a great sounding pedal. Had it for many years with zero problems... built like a tank.

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

They are two different sounding wahs.Another reason is the Picture wah had a 5 year head start on the WOF for popularity.The Picture introduced in 2001 the Wheels in 2006 as a production model.My current rig includes a WOF and JWSW or a WOF and Picture wah.The WOF is a Fun wah to play and a head turner.

10. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I love my Picture Wah. The sound was exactly what I was looking for. I posted to a similar thread that the action on mine seemed rough. Teese saw my post and contacted me privately with different troubleshooting ideas. Great products, great builder.

11. Purple

Purple Member

I've played quite a few wahs but I stopped looking at other wahs once I got my Picture Wah - I've been using it exclusively for several years now.

Yeah, all wahs with pots will get scratchy eventually, spray some deoxit in there once in a while.

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

my experience as well excpet that mine is even older than that...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. telebucker

telebucker Member

i use the picture wah a lot. very musical, quacky, internal volume pot that can be adjusted for cut or boost--teese is popular for a reason. and for the money you invest you really get a product that has life _and_ great tone. the only complaint i have...none.

i only own the picture wah at this moment, but i will be buying at least two other teese wahs in the next year. i plan on it. the only thing that is stopping me is my tax return and the fact that i do hard core product testing in store before purchasing anything. i also am going to purchase a backup picture wah because i really dig it and would not want to be without one if some numbskull soaked it in a pitcher of beer at a gig. accidents happen at the worst times. and i loves me my picture wah.

14. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Maybe this thread will do a small part in putting the rumors to rest. Thanks guys.

15. gregory49

gregory49 Member

From the clips I've heard the Picture wah always sounds amazing. Geoffrey Has my support 110%! . but on the other hand don't be afriad to keep your options oppen. George from Pedalworx is building a great wah as well as Scotty from Pro Analog.

My advice would be to go and get the pic wah if you don't like it. Sell it on here for what you paid. Hell contact me I'll buy it. I also know that the RMC3 will get preatty much the sound of a few other RMC wahs including the Picture.

16. abovethewave

abovethewave Member

+1, my Picture Wah rule. best addition i EVER made to my pedal board.

17. crosse79

crosse79 Member

OK - get the pict wah.. you know you want it. :) Seriously it's one of the best wah in the world.

18. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

+1 Picture and Wizard wah:AOK

19. vinceman

vinceman Member

Before I made my choice, I came back home with a RMC1, a wizard, and a Picture. The Picture won.

It was the one that had the best vocal qualities (imo). And it worked with any level of gain, and any type of pickups.

It works with fender cleans, crunch, high gain... I love it.

May I add that Geoffrey Teese is a great guy? (see a recent topic I started)

20. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I have one of the very first batch to ship to musitoyz - before Teddy realzed he was blowing them out at or below cost. Still works fine and no scratchy pot.