Teese Wizard Wah: info please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by progholio, Jan 19, 2008.

1. progholio

progholio Supporting Member

I would like to know what experience anyone has with the Wizard wah please.
    I currently have a BudWah which i think is relatively close to a vintage Vox sound and i am pretty happy with it. Lately i have been looking for something that is a little different, maybe a bit more pronounced in the low end and not raspy on top, a little wider range that works well with gain and i want to avoid anything really over the top like the Vai/Satriani shred-wah sound.

Does the Wizard fit the bill or does it get more into dark shred territory?
    Can the Wizard do clean funky stuff at all?
    Does the pedal action feel close to the Vox/Crybaby pedals?

And the Wizard blew his horn.......................

2. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I had a Wizard for a little while. It sounds great, no shrilly high end at all and a nice sweep range that works well with single coils and humbuckers. You can get some pretty cool sounds when you play it clean, but it definitely excels with higher gain. The only reason I got rid of it was that I wanted something with some more tonal options so I bought an RMC3, which can cop the sounds of all the Teese wahs. Also, the pedal action is adjustable with an allen wrench that's included when you buy the wah new. Great pedal, I think it'll be a nice compliment to your Bud wah.

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

IMO you just asked for a Wizard wah!

4. Jack

Jack Member

I think the Wizard pretty much does everything you ask for in your post. I don't have much to add, really.

5. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I have yet to find another wah that sits so well, with so many styles as the Wizard.

6. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

It Really Does..:AOK:AOK

7. JRBain

JRBain Member

The Wizard Wah is my favourite wah - It completely fulfils my tonal requirements - I love it. Some say that it's dark, but I don't think it's problematicly so; I love the thickness and smoothness of the sound. It's very thick and vocal, and has great clarity, and fantastic harmonic qualities and sweet spots, and yes, it does excel with gain, IMO. It isn't completely impossible to do funky stuff with it, but it isn't its forte; It's a bit too smooth and wide and the top doesn't cut like some other wahs that would do the job better, IMO.

I did a brief demo for you, which is on my soundclick, here (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=796301). I'm afraid I had to record through my Zoom 505II, which is the greatest thief of tone I have ever come across. Hopefully the demo might give you some idea of the sound, though. The first part is a lead tone, and the second a clean tone. Apologies for the playing, also - I know I suck :p

8. progholio

Hey thanks for that clip, it was very helpful.
    I see the tonal range is definitely different than the traditional vintage sound but not at all over the top. Sounds like it has a very nice sweep range and a great vocal quality, just what i'm looking for. I think someone like Frank Marino would have been thrilled to have one of these back in the day :)

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Good Call. Frank actually uses an RMC2..

[​IMG]

10. JRBain

JRBain Member

No problem :)

11. progholio

What year is that picture from?
    Holy smokes, an sg with 3 singles, ain't that a hoot. Did he do that before Gibson started making the SG-3?

12. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Summer 2005