Teisco Del Rey EP-8T...accidently bought one!

heavy_gauge

I put in a bid expecting to get sniped on ebay this afternoon and, well, I didn't. I got a Teisco EP-8T semi hollow for $80 that has absolutely everything and just needs to be rewired. It has period pickups and in an afternoon I'll have a functioning Teisco (knock on wood). I've always wanted one, but I got one by surprise. I have no idea how they play or sound or feel. I'm excited to get it...I just want to know what I'm getting into. Any help would be appreciated!

jeffwith1f

I have a teisco. it plays like ass, but it plays. I'm sure a tune up would make it play better. That's a good deal. I saw a Tesico for $800 in a store near me.

heavy_gauge

I love crazy japanese guitars, I got this today

'66 Noble hollowbody

that is beautiful! i also didnt think theyd play like a dream...but they are wacky looking. I can't wait to get to work on it. I'll probably be posting on here for wiring tips :)

tsar nicholas

Sweet

I remember Eddie Van Halen playing some weird Japanese guitar in the "Finish What Ya Started" video, wicked cool

TD_Madden

KotWF
Platinum Supporting Member
I received an EP8T for Christmas in 1967...it had the Teisco badge removed (remnants of a nail left behind) and an oval light-blue oval Silvertone sticker in that spot...chipboard case included.

I had drawn a big circle around it in the Sears catalog.....and was totally surprised to see it under the tree. I think the catalog listed it for about $70.

Here's my EP8T next to a red thing that has the same pickups. The tremolo is real nice on these and the strings stay in tune when its used. The red one sounds better through my Silvertone twin twelve than the EP8T. I used the EP8T on a recording. It's got a different kinda sound. I believe Ry Cooder and David Lindley are fans of these pickups. The guitars weigh under 4 pounds.

heavy_gauge

Here's my EP8T next to a red thing that has the same pickups. The tremolo is real nice on these and the strings stay in tune when its used. The red one sounds better through my Silvertone twin twelve than the EP8T. I used the EP8T on a recording. It's got a different kinda sound. I believe Ry Cooder and David Lindley are fans of these pickups. The guitars weigh under 4 pounds.
Well thats nice to here that you have a twin twelve. I have a 1483 so the sound should be somewhat similar...just a little bassier haha. And only four pounds? Amazing. Thanks for the help!

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
A friend of mine had a couple of those back in the early '70s. I never heard it plugged in. Don't know as I would accurately remember the sound anyway.

Congrats. :)

Muddy T-Bone

As a kid, I used to see these in Thrifty Drug and Woolworth's for $29. Usually in green burst.
PG-

That was my first guitar purchased at Thrifty Drug for $29 in mid-late 60's.

I have been trying to find out the model number for years. Exciting to find out what it is!

Trending Topics