Teixeira Amps Texosound Bernie--Lengthy Initial Thoughts

vandi

Fantasy Land Post: If Tony made a tiny EL90 head with an EF86 front end that just started breaking up after about 9 O'Clock on the dial that would be the f'ing bomb IMHO. Practical, no... Utilitarian, no... One trick pony, yes... But a glorious pony she would be.

I could see that kind of head making its way into recording studios. It would have chunks of Fenders and Voxes in its stool...

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
Happy to report back that I really love the mini EL90! Really perfect for what I was after...a great amp I could do duo gigs with and even quieter trios. Its really sweet...lots of clean and sweetness and volume before it begins to grind. Missed having a TEX!

I wonder...can you switch between EL90 and EL84 (which gives the guitar some extra wattage)???

Not really looking for more volume, but never hurts to have options.

But, really happy with it...got me wanting a bigger Bernie Custom again, too!!

Let me know if you ever decide to sell that one! That'd be perfect for me. I am using an attenuator with my Bernie! :D

Clean Channel

I may as well update to say that I continue to use my 5W more far, far more than any other amp. It literally gets used 6 days per week for all of my teaching and gigging (I take Sundays off).

Small, light, easy to carry, easy to dial in, sounds huge and full, and is takes pedals beautifully.

Tex 5W is the best amp purchase I ever made.

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Really looking hard at picking up one of these amps, love this thread. Any more thoughts to go on, any tips on picking one up? I have it narrowed down between this and possibly a Carr Lincoln. But the tones I've heard recorded with the Tex CC really hit me in the sweet spot every time.

22Top

Really looking hard at picking up one of these amps, love this thread. Any more thoughts to go on, any tips on picking one up? I have it narrowed down between this and possibly a Carr Lincoln. But the tones I've heard recorded with the Tex CC really hit me in the sweet spot every time.

I can't think of a reason not to go ahead with this. I ordered one based on clips and reputation... And I'll never sell. It's my go to for many applications. And certainly my favourite amp to play.

Clean Channel

I continue to use my Tex 5W literally almost every single day (I miss the occasional Sunday and holiday, but that's it).

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
I can't swallow the price. It sounds like a great, simple amp. I understand low production rates and the thought, engineering and art that went into these. But, in the end, they seem quite expensive

moniz

I can't swallow the price. It sounds like a great, simple amp. I understand low production rates and the thought, engineering and art that went into these. But, in the end, they seem quite expensive
Compared to other boutique amps, I'd say the price is reasonable to a steal. All made to order, sounds amazing and if you see on the resale end (when they do come up, but hardly since these are real keepers!) they hold onto their value. All I can say, it's the most expensive piece of guitar gear I've ever bought, and I don't regret it after 2 years of owning one!

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
For the Bernie CC, can you get nice tone and breakup at bedroom volume, or does it need to be dimed?

moniz

DAG has a CC, 5 watt, EF86, and Mini Bernie in stock.

http://www.destroyallguitars.com/amps/360-tex
For the Bernie CC, can you get nice tone and breakup at bedroom volume, or does it need to be dimed?

Yeah, won't work as a bedroom amp unless no one is home and you live in a detached home. It's needs volume to hit its sweet spots. Yes spots. Lots of great tone in the dial from 9 o'clock onward but below that it won't be loud enough to get the tubes working.

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, won't work as a bedroom amp unless no one is home and you live in a detached home. It's needs volume to hit its sweet spots. Yes spots. Lots of great tone in the dial from 9 o'clock onward but below that it won't be loud enough to get the tubes working.

Sigh- knew I shouldn't have sold that Power Station....

moniz

Sigh- knew I shouldn't have sold that Power Station....

I don't get to crank it up at home often but anytime I do or with a band, I'm so glad and blown away I own my Tex. Mine is a Mini btw. A regular 15 watt Bernie in the 5 Watt chassis. It ridiculous how this small amp can sound so good and LOUD. I've even had it through a Marshall 1960 4x12 and it sounds even more huge!

22Top

I've even had it through a Marshall 1960 4x12 and it sounds even more huge!

I've wanted to try this with my Tec CC forever. I've got a 2x12 with red fangs in it and it sounds amazing. I'm curious if the dividends just keep increasing.

High Voltage

Ya if you are looking for breakup at home get the 5 watt. I have the Bernie and was surprised by how much volume it puts out.

22Top

I've got a solo gig at a new venue this weekend. I'll take the airbrake in case, but I'm hoping the room is large enough to not need it. But they're a loud 15 watts. This amp smokes my buddies Victoria 20112 (5E3) in terms of perceived volume.

Top Bottom