Tele '73/'74

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rickcard71, Apr 30, 2015.

1. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I'm wondering approximately how much these would sell for on the used market. Blond / maple neck & board / normal paint checking. Pictures to come later.

2. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

This is a 1973 or 1974 Fender Tele that my bandmate just got from a co-worker. They were going to give it to him but the co-worker said to give him a $1k.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Go to eBay and do a basic search with the parameters you mention above, then get more granular until you find the 'apples to apples' comparisons. Then go to the Sold Listings to see what people are paying. That's your fair market price bracket.

That method holds true whether or not you choose to sell on eBay. Bear in mind that eBay prices may be somewhat inflated since sellers have to pay a fee of ~10% or more after all is said and done.

4. texrun38

texrun38 Supporting Member

Is he wanting to sell it or did he buy it for $1K?

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Teles seem to sell for a little more than an equivalent Strat. May be the 4 bolt neck and such.
    Or that Teles are really cool.
    I would guess a decent Tele of that era is worth $1300-$1800ish.

6. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

If that's the original body, finish, and neck, then it's easily worth $1000. New Fender guitars go for more than that, and I'll choose a vintage one in decent shape every time over a new one that costs more. As to what the price ceiling is, completed listings on ebay are the best indicator.

7. 73Fender

73Fender Member

That looks to be in great shape...very nice deal for him.

I'd say $2k and up depending.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

First off, you're going to need more detailed info. Pulling the neck to see if there are neck and body dates would help. Lifting the control plate to check pot dates and wiring would be a good idea. For a Tele from 73 with all original parts and finish in that shape, my comment would be that your bandmate did VERY well. In a store you wouldn't touch that for less than $3k. Of course if the pickups are changed, it's a refin and refret and the neck and body don't match, then $1k was merely a nice price.