Tele American Deluxe Vs Standard

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by warren0728, Dec 2, 2005.

1. warren0728

warren0728 Member

I'm looking at getting a fender telecaster. Trying to justify the price difference between the American Deluxe and the Standard (which i think is made in Mexico). I know the American deluxe has different p/u's and such along with a push swith on one of the knobs to (i think) use both p/u's or something like that.

Can someone breakdown the differences in features and quality?

thanks,
    ww

2. warren0728

warren0728 Member

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

There's a rather big difference between the AD and the Mex Teles, a smaller one bet. the AD and standard American. With the former, different hardware, pups, build quality, etc. (in general). The real diff. bet. the AD and AS is one of appointments. The ADs (I own one) come with noiseless pups (some love them, others don't), and a bound body with tummy cut. The binding looks great, the cut feels great, but traditionalists sometimes scoff at the cut. My personal choice, if I were buying now, would be a Standard American with the vintage appointments s/a a 3 barrell bridge and std. pups. They split the price bet. the AD ad AS (just a bit more than the regular Standard),but it's a great package for the money. Good luck! AC

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

I'm with you, AC. Go vintage! I recently took an Am Std Tele and added 4-way switching, Fralin p-92/Blues Special pickups and a Pigtail Vintage bridge with compensated brass saddles and I'll put the tone of this guitar up against any other Tele out there. It was transformed into one amazing tonemonster. I can't put it down.

5. warren0728

warren0728 Member

thanks Robert....i have already been all over the fender website....was looking for more info like how much better built the american is versus the mexican as well as sound differences and such that fender doesn't tell you about.

I have a chance to get a new mim tele cheap because some goofball dropped the guitar at a local shopn and it has two nicks on the edge of the body where the back and sides meet.

Just not sure if i will regret going mim and want to get a real american one soon.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

That's an amazing coincidence, mainsale! I just put a Voodoo P-90 in the neck of my AD tele, in which I already installed a SD Jerry Donahue bridge pickup in a 3-saddle Callaham bridge/plate. And here I thought I had such a great original idea! Doh!! But you're right, what a sound! Hey, how does the 4-position switch work? Sounds? AC

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

I got the 4-way switch from Acme Guitar Works with their volume kit. I think it's the only way to go. It blends the neck and bridge in both series and parallel and the volume kit keeps the treble in place when you reduce the volume. Let me tell you...The neck and bridge in series is amazingly full in tone! I won't have another Tele without this option.

8. warren0728

warren0728 Member

soooo.....getting back to my question.

is the quality of the mim tele (out of the box...no mods) good enough for an average player....i am not a pro....play at home most of the time with an occaisional church gig.

I have an opportunitie to play out with a friends blues band but i don't think i'm good enough (yet?)

thanks for all your help

ww

9. straticus

straticus Member

The answer is .............. Yes, absolutely. I've played lots of the Fender MIM guitars and I think they're great bang for the buck guitars. You might want to take it to a tech for a propper set up just to make sure everything is as it should be. But I do that with any guitar I buy regardless of price or quallity.

You can always change p/u's later if you want to. But the stock ones might be fine for you. I'd say go for it and let the blues role.:)

10. warren0728

warren0728 Member

thats what i am thinking straticus....my local guitar dealer is great (not one of those big huge we have everything mega stores) and will set it up for me no problem....i just get the jones for that tangerine telecaster deluxe when i walk into his shop....man that thing is a beauty!

with the money i save buying the standard i could probably get that goldtone metal body reso he has too!

ww

11. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

You may already know this, but if you are playing blues, you may want to make sure it doesn't have the vintage neck radius - around 7 1/4 I believe - you'll fret out when bending notes. Should be at least 9.5. When I play blues, I love to torture the strings and bend them every which way.

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah, Warren. Sping for the tangerine Deluxe. You'll never regret it, and won't have to spend for upgrades up the road. That 'pride of ownership' thing may keep you from getting restless later on, thus negating any savings from the lesser guitar.