Tele... American StandardPickups???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rawkguitarist, Aug 24, 2005.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I may buy an American Standard Tele (NOT the deluxe model) from my friend. It's in excellent shape, plays well and sounds great. I’m just curious what you Tele and single coil pickup experts know about the pickups that would be in this guitar. I’ve not that accustomed to single coil pickups and I’ve not played very many guitars with what are considered top notch examples of good pickups. So I don’t have much of a reference.

How do these pickups compare to what’s out there, boutique and other wise. As far as I can tell this thing smokes as is, and isn’t really noisy compared to other single coil guitars I’ve played.

Please help a Tele newbie out with some info… :AOK

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Whenever you ask a question such as this, you are liable to get a variety of responses that might end up confusing you more than they enlighten you. You are much better off playing this guitar, through your amp, for a couple of months, then determining what you like and don't like about the pickups in that guitar. Since you are not that accustomed to single coil pickups, it may take you a while to learn how you react to them, when you play them.

The stock pickups in an Am. Std. Tele are fine. Many players feel they are good enough to stick with, permantently. You might be one of those players, and you might not, but give yourself a chance to get used to the guitar and its current pickups before you start thinking about new ones. After a while, you'll have a better idea of what you like about the stock pickups, and what you would prefer to change.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

In my honest opinion - not shared by everyone, including Jim, obviously - the American Standard Tele pickups are, by far, the weakest parts in an otherwise great guitar. I find them completely thin-sounding and gutless, especially the bridge. Almost any aftermarket Tele pickups are an upgrade, especially any bridge pickup with the metal baseplate.

A few years ago I had a US Standard Tele, which I very nearly sold immediately after gigging it for the first time, because it sounded so plastic and thin. But the next week I got a pair of Duncan Vintage Tele pickups in a trade, and thought it was worth a shot to try them before I sold it... the difference was absolutely staggering, and they aren't even expensive pickups. I used it as my main guitar for about four years after that.

Just my opinion.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well my whole point of getting a Tele is to have the thinner, bitey tone. Allthough they are by far my favorites, sometimes my PRS guitars are too thick and too dark. In many of the recording sessions I've done lately, they completly called for a thinner tone.

But, I said I wanted THINNER, not THIN. So far I'm pretty pleased with these pickups.

But John, I did ask for your opinion so thanks a bunch. :AOK

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I probably WOULD replace the stock Tele pickups, but I've been playing Teles for eons, so I know exactly what I want to hear, in a Tele. Aarondavis mentioned he wasn't that accustomed to single coil pickups, so I merely suggested he live with the stock ones, for a while, to determine what he would change.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I think it's a great suggestion Jim!

Allthough I can hear for myself, I just wanted to hear other peoples opinion on the matter.

7. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

If I remember correctly, about 10 years ago Fender started using beefier pickups in their Am Std teles. I think it was about the same time as they started installing their Delta Tone system. I always found the Am. Std's a bit anemic, but after this change they sound quite a bit better.

8. noodle_world

noodle_world Member

i would stick some fralins in. :dude

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Looking at the Fralin site it doesn't look like they are noise cancelling... Are they?

Being a humbucker guy for the last 15 years, the noise on these stock pickups could be too much for me. I was looking at the Kinman pickups, sound like really cool pickups, but $220????

10. dave-o

dave-o Member

I played my am series tele for 2 years before swapping pickups. THe delta tone was good, but I was looking for a more tradional sound, so I went with the Rio Grande vintage tall boys. I like them so far.

11. royd

royd Member

no the Fralins aren't noise cancelling... but the noise is part of the charm of single coils ;)

seriously, I haven't heard a noiseless single coil pickup that had the true character of a single coil (I know there are some great noiseless ones out there but the ones I've heard still don't have the same air about them) so if you want a Tele sound... stick with true single coils.

I agree with the advice you've gotten to live with the ones that are there for a bit and then, if you aren't hearing what you want, begin your search. There are lots of great Tele pickups out there - Fralins, Vintage Vibe, Hamels, some of the Duncans, etc. etc. at a variety of price points.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

So far, I love the tone, love it! (I'm about to play the tele right now:D) But the noise may be a problem for me. Like I said, I usually play humbuckers. I'm not going to spend cash on pickups for a while, so I'll just see if I can live with the noise.

Speaking of the difference betwee noisless and true single coils, can anyone that has Kinmans tell me how they sound compared to the real deal???

Thanks

13. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Buy the Boss NS-2 (Noise Suppressor) and you'll be much happier. I gig full time (with a few USA Tele's...w/stock pickups for now) and I use a few OD pedals in front of my Divided By 13. I would be in noise hell without that pedal. I use it first in line (from the guitar working towards the amp). I also keep my higher gain pedal (Tonebone Hot British) in its loop which really works well. You'll thank me.

:D