Tele and 5-way switch...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Guitar Surgeon, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Guitar Surgeon

Guitar Surgeon Member

Curious... I am re-wiring my Tele to use 500k pots to brighten up the neck humbucker. Right now I have a '59 in the neck (full) and a JD Tele single at the bridge. I'm using 250k pots and the neck is muddy.

So, as I was going to replace pots anyway I was thinking of possibly doing a 500k push/pull to split the humbucker. But, with only two pickups, could I achieve the splitting with a 5-way switch?

If so, would it make sense to use a 500k for the tone and 250k for the volume? Or go with two 500k pots? I saw somewhere a mod to use a resistor with the bridge pup that allows it to "see" 250k when using a 500k pot so you get the appropriate values for both the humbucker and the single coil.

Any ideas?

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

With a 4-pole-5-way, you can have optimized setting for each position:

1.) Neck humbucker, with a dedicated cap value (.010uf etc)/style switched in for the tone control, 500k volume pot load.

2.) Neck humbucker split, with another dedicated cap value (.047uf etc)/style switched in for the tone control, also with a resistor switched in line so the split humbucker sees a close to 250K load on the volume pot

3.) Neck humbucker with bridge pu in parallel, same cap and volume pot setting as position 2.

4.) Neck humbucker split, in parallel with the bridge pu, same cap and volume pot setting as position 2.

5.) Bridge pu alone, same cap and volume pot setting as position 2.

You can use a 500K pot for the tone control also.

Just an example.

3. Guitar Surgeon

Guitar Surgeon Member

Thanks for the note. Is this using a standard 5-way or a super switch?

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Super switch.