Tele body question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Fndrman, May 3, 2008.

1. Fndrman

Fndrman Member

I am making a Tele body from scratch, which means gluing two boards together. My dilema is this...when I glue the boards together, there will be a small gap in the boards. How do I fix that...do I use wood filler or do I try to get the sides as flat as possible? As far as strength goes, what type of glue should I use, and should I use dowels to strengthen it? I've never done this before and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

As OTM said, but you'd probably run the boards trough a jointer to edge glue them. Use any quality wood glue - Titebond is popular. Don't use dowels or even worry about reinforcements - the glue will do just fine. Every glue joint actually breaks up sound waves somewhat making for a more homogenous tonal response than a single-piece body.

3. Structo

Structo Member

4. Fndrman

Fndrman Member

When you say upper and lower, do you mean the front and back of the plank?

5. Fndrman

Fndrman Member

This might sound like a dumb question, but what is a jointer, and how would I use one on this piece?

6. underhillmusic

underhillmusic Member

A jointer is a machine that cuts the thickness on a piece of wood. It has a fence rinngin perpendicular to the cutting blade to keep the work straight and flat. The cutter takes thousanths of inches at a time to make the sides flat - so whan you hold the two pieces up to eachother they are perfectly flat.

Don't worry about loosing any tone - Almost every guitar or the modern era has been made of at least two pieces of wood - because single pieces are too hard to find and too expensive.

Fender, Gubson, and Paul Ried Smith use multipe pieces of wood. Gibson's are usually 5 - 6 seperate jointed and planed pieces.

7. Tinman

Tinman Member

Take the boards to a cabinet shop and ask them to joint a square edge on your boards. Tell them what you are doing. They might charge you $20.