tele body split at middle seam

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by waylon, Jan 15, 2015.

1. waylon

waylon Member

when refinishing a tele I left it over night in our shop (oil heat) the body started to crack/split/separate at the seam (2 pc body). I couldn't force it back together w/ my hands so I thought to take it apart and reglue it.

After using a heat gun to heat up the glue it came apart easily. the problem is that when pushing the 2 pieces together it seems there is a V gap on both the top and bottom like the pieces expanded in the middle.

Any solution to this other than wood putty/bondo?

thanks

2. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

I'd start by re- or de-humidifying the pieces - whichever applies - as you might get lucky and straighten it out there. Otherwise, maybe square up the pieces with a jointer? Sounds risky, but them's the breaks. Good luck!

3. NoahL

NoahL Member

Just a guess: if the wood separated at the outer edges and now only meets in the middle, the problem is shrinkage at the two outer edges, which means rehydrate it well for a few weeks? If the problem was too much moisture, I'd think the surfaces would grow faster than the middle, and the separation pattern would be different?

Which makes me wonder: are some fretboard issues like humps at the heel or the lower frets the result of dry air getting into the trussrod opening or up against an unfinished heel, the two places where a neck is likely to be unfinished?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015