1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Tele body with comfort contours? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Crunchtime, Oct 26, 2019.

Tele body, belly and forearm cuts or not?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2020.
  1. No, a Tele must always be a slab body

109 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Yes, the added comfort will inspire your playing

211 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I find this very true. I love being able to see the E & B strings and fret board better due to the belly cut effect on the plane of the playing surface, but don't like the more extreme left wrist curl under the neck (I am right handed) required for me to reach all the strings.

Gb

Desmosedici likes this.
  2. Kostas

Kostas Member

Slab with contoured heel, that's ideal for me. I want contoured heel in all bolt-on neck guitars. Even better, something like the Ibanez AANJ with no neck plate.

3. JJ321

JJ321 Member

I have Teles with the contour and without. The ones with the contour are definitely more comfortable to play.

DHart likes this.
  4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

No one in the audience will ever know the difference.

In this case it's less a case of looking "good" vs. looking traditional and I assure you, no one else but you will care or even notice. My American Deluxe Tele has the belly cut and contour and it feels much better. I greatly prefer it to the traditional body shape.

I think having it be a close as possible to the original Telecaster is a collector thing more than a player thing. The benefits of the traditional body shape are definitely more in your head than in the playing experience. It really depends on what your priorities are.

Of course mine is far from traditional with a flame top and ebony board but it's the best Tele I've ever played.

[​IMG]

HERSCHEL likes this.
  5. Drew816

Drew816 Member

My '91 Callaham.

[​IMG]

My '19 Tonebomb/Warmoth Uber Thinline (yep a Thinline with a Tummy Cut, it can be done!).

[​IMG]

I'm not against Tele Forearm cuts, but the Tummy Cut is hidden, the original "form" of the Tele is preserved and it works great. It is all about the looks after all... ;)

HERSCHEL likes this.
  6. Blue Lizard

Blue Lizard Member

I have Teles with and without contouring and don’t mind either way. That said, I also think that the RK Tele does a very attractive job of incorporating subtle curves into the slab, especially with the front binding.
    [​IMG]

Of the choices, I’d say that forearm contour is preferable; I have a couple of EBMM Axis guitars that have a mild belly but no forearm cut and they do tend to put a crease in the arm after a session.

7. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

My Grosh RCVT has a subtle tummy cut, but is flat on the top. I dunno. Whatever. It sounds like a tele.

8. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

Schecter has a PT Special with a thin finished ash body and contour cuts for the forearm and belly. Standard Tele bridge and P90 in the neck, Series or parallel switching. It has binding too. MIK. I am drooling over it but I wish they made them in more colors.

tonydetiger, HERSCHEL and NoBrakes like this.
  9. Slophand

Slophand gear whoarder

10. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

If you're going with Warmoth's offerings, then carved top w/ tummy cut.

If it matters to you, the carved top does not preclude using the standard Tele-style bridge. That mounting area is still flat enough to use that bridge. Also, their carved-top style is cut from a standard Tele slab, so there's no need for an angle on the neck to compensate for bridge height.

11. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Some of us call it the RIB contour, people! The skinnier you are, the less “cushioning” you have there, the more uncomfortable the slab can be.

RLD and 9fingers like this.
  12. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Member

I own the black one with the rosewood fretboard. I love it, but find myself wanting the burst one with the maple neck. It’s the only sub-$1000 T style guitar I’ve found with contours.

I also have 2 T style partscasters with belly, forearm, and heel contours. I practically worship ergonomics as a religion, and adding contours for better access and comfort while playing just makes sense.

13. Gig Young

Gig Young ¡Vote Twice On Nov. 4! Gold Supporting Member

14. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

15. Nothingface

Nothingface Member

If Leo had wanted contours on a Tele, he would have put contours on a Tele.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Leo didn't have to play them and he was to cheap to throw them in for free.
    So, he did not want them.
    But wouldn't YOU want them?

17. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I like the look of non, but prefer the feel of contours. However, I would rather purchase a traditional Tele without.

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Looks - people looking on can't even see the belly cut - nor would they care if they could :confused:

19. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Mine has no contours but if it did, I'd like that and I'm sure it would sound just as good.

20. p.j.

p.j. Member

I did this to my '92 Am. Std. Tele with a Dremel. (Not the best tool for the job, by any stretch.) It still looks terrible but it worked. I also put another strap button low than the original so that the guitar balances better for me. (I always play with a strap whether sitting or stranding.)