1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Tele body with comfort contours? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Crunchtime, Oct 26, 2019.

Tele body, belly and forearm cuts or not?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2020.
  1. No, a Tele must always be a slab body

109 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Yes, the added comfort will inspire your playing

211 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

I grew up playing a standard shaped Telecaster body, body shape isn't even a factor to me.

2. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I prefer not to be beholden to 70+ year old decision made by a guy (dead almost 30 years now) using rudimentary tools who corrected his own mistake (by making the Strat with contours) just a few years later. But that's just me. YMMV!

3. ChrisN

ChrisN Supporting Member

Not to derail, but Leo went on to start G&L where he continued work on the Telecaster concept via the ASAT and ASAT Special models. The original Tele has a 1 7/8" body thickness that Leo decided was too thick, so he came up with what G&L later called "OLS" or Original Leo Spec" Body Depth, which thinned the body to 1 5/8, and which shaved 1/3 pound off the weight. I have one and like it quite a bit.

From G&L's site: (under Options) - Original Leo Spec body depth for solid-body ASAT guitars. Reduced body thickness to 1.625″ mill-depth from 1.780″. This is the original body depth for ASAT guitars in the mid ’80s.

4. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

Touché!

ChrisN likes this.
  5. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Don't really care, but given a choice I prefer not to have them on a Tele.

For whatever reason, they feel right on a Strat to me, but they don't feel right on a Tele. I'm just so used to Tele's without them that it feels more natural to me to not have them.

6. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

Shocked at the results thus far. I thought I'd be one of the only ones preferring belly and arm cuts. It's one of the reasons I don't own a Tele, and I figured I needed to man up and accept the slab style to get in the Tele crowd.

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Slab all the way for me.

8. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I wouldn't play one unless it had the arm and belly cuts.
    Even my not authentic LP has them.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  9. midi510

midi510 Member

You're a Strat guy, but you own six Teles?

10. Masa

Masa Member

Yeah, I consider myself a strat guy, and own 9 or 10 strats at the moment.:)

DCross likes this.
  11. midi510

midi510 Member

I was thinking of asking how many Strats you had. I once had 15 guitars, 3 basses, two violins, a mandolin, and a six string banjo. Then my kids started college.

12. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I recently found a reasonably price Warmoth lightweight roasted swamp ash replacement body for my Baja Tele (thanks TGP Emporium). It has forearm, tummy and heel contours, along with a Vintage White nitro finish. I LOVE IT!

The contours take the Tele to another level of comfort, versatility and play-ability. I'll never buy a Tele without forearm and tummy cuts again.

aussie_owner, HERSCHEL and 3of5 like this.
  13. the recluse

the recluse Member

I pretty much only have Tele's (and G&L ASATs) now, and they are all over the place with and/or without belly cuts and contours.

For me it doesn't matter. With a Tele it's more about the horizontal balance which is pretty much the same across the board.

14. DCross

DCross Acoustic Jazz & Electric Folk Silver Supporting Member

I love the G&L OLS ASATs. Contours are fine, but honestly, with that thickness they're not really required. With "regular" thickness teles the circulation gets cut off on my right forearm. Which is weird because I can play thicker acoustics all day long with no trouble.

15. DHart

DHart Member

Body contour is an absolute PLUS on any Tele, though I still love Teles without it, as well. Given the choice, I will opt for body contour every time. I play sitting and the rear body contour takes the edge off the rib cage... it nestles up gently to the body.

One of the reasons I love the 2012-2014 Fender American Standard bodies is the rib cut on the back of the body - this is a 2013 Fender American Standard in Jade Pearl finish:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Rick51, fuzz_factor, Lt Dak and 3 others like this.
  16. Defendant

Defendant Member

I have two with contours: a fender cabronita I modded and a korina p90 build.

Both are great, but I do wonder if my picking hand likes the flat top/belly cut combo better.

17. DHart

DHart Member

What body is that? From where, I mean? Looks great.

stratzrus likes this.
  18. DHart

DHart Member

When playing sitting, the "belly" cut functions as a "rib" cut for me - takes off that edge which would contact the rib cage. I'm ok without the "rib" cut, but I like Teles with the rib cut even more. I have 14 Teles, at present, with rib cut on 5 of them.

I guess if a player had a large gut, that edge of the guitar wouldn't even be in contact with the body.

stratzrus and Lt Dak like this.
  19. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

Same.My only Tele is a floral reissue. I wear my guitars somewhat high and I have to reposition the Tele a little to avoid it digging into my ribs. If I get another, it'll probably be a newer ultra or more likely a G&L.

20. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

It's a completely original Fender American Deluxe Telecaster HH FMT. The "HH" means dual humbuckers and the "FMT" means flame maple top.

The series also has a "QMT" (quilt maple top) version. They were only made from 2004-2008. I've seen different dates published but I've never seen one made before or after.

Here's one of the original listings with some excellent detailed photos:

https://haightashburymusic.com/guit...lted-maple-cobalt-blue-transparent-ebony.html

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    DHart likes this.