Tele bridge experts: looking for correct saddles

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 12guitdown, Mar 7, 2019.

1. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I just want to verify if these saddles will work with this bridge. They’re going on a Wildwood manufacturing body finished by MJT.

Thx guys!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Here’s the body.

[​IMG]
    And a mock up
    [​IMG]

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Cool color on that tele! Do the holes on the bridge look centered in the bridge? If so, you should be good, if not the saddles need to be offset.

4. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Yes. The holes where the string feeds through is centered whereas, the holes for the saddle screws are offset.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

They might work. Probably won't know for sure until you try as the saddles might be too wide for the bridge plate causing a saddle fan out scenario. But you could file the saddle's sides to make them fit if need be. However, you'd need the offset holes so the strings would clear the saddle's intonation screws.

6. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

That’s why I’m calling the experts. Lol. So I guess a possible follow up question would be, “So which saddles will work with this type of bridge?”

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While I've never used those particular saddles, the ad says they are "Vintage Tele" spec so they should work. Personally, I prefer the 3 brass saddles.

killer blues likes this.
  8. dazco

dazco Member

You need to contact the manufacturer and ask the string spacing. Then measure the distance from the low to high E string holes and see if the measurement is the same. If so u r good to go. By the pic however it looks like u will have to remove the screw and put the saddle back on the scree in reverse.

9. killer blues

killer blues Member

That's right. You lose the tele "charm" without them

10. cap217

cap217 Member

String spacing and all that comes into play here. I think you are making this harder on yourself though. Just get a standard Pat Pend bridge for $12 and some brass or steel saddles and do it that way.

11. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

And also to the two posts above-

This was my final conclusion too, getting a standard Pay Pend bridge, so that’s what I did. Thx for all the input though.

12. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yes, those are in fact the correct saddles to use with that plate. They were developed for that purpose, exclusively.

Frankly, we'd need more images, like a bird's eye view with the plate placed over the body and with the through holes aligned, see how the plate lays relative to the pickguard. Some bodies do exist with through holes positioned for the American Standard/American Deluxe/ Elite/Am Pro and while this is probably not one of those, I can't assure you 100% without more images.

I hope you will decide not to use this "6 hammer" saddle and bridgeplate combination. If it was just a loss of "Tele Flavor" that would be one thing, but the 6 hammer is a hopeless disaster in use. What happens is the string applies most of the pressure on just one side of these small saddles. The other side is unloaded and thus the height screws are free to back out and then the saddles topple over. You might need full time triage by a tech all recording session or gig long. I also don't like the way these "6 hammer" saddles straitjacket the player into using an extremely wide string array at the bridge. The beauty of the "twin string" barrels is how we can custom space each string vis a vis its neighbor. The better sounds (less rattles and traishy noises during use) and better tone are just icing on the cake.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    earthmud likes this.
  13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

[​IMG]

You know what might be fun? If someone already had the plate and saddles shown, they could set the guitar up with this bridge on there, play it in to be sure string height and intonation were right, then take the bridge off and throw it in the Gulf of Mexico for 3 weeks. Then, go and retrieve it and if there's sufficient corrosion on there, then you could re-install the frozen bridge assembly and it might not be bad since nothing could move - everything would be rusted together. Very well worn looking, might even work all right. Just. don't ever expect to adjust it in any way.

earthmud likes this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Being the owner of more than one Tele, and having built from scratch plus mods, I would suggest investigating the 3-barrel saddles on Teles or the 6-block style saddles you find on Strats. These six barrel sets often rattle against each other.

You can even look for the 'compensated' brass barrel type and be in good shape.

[​IMG]

15. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

And thx for all the additional input too. This is good, further insight why “not to use” this setup, and, confirms my suspicions even more so.

I bought thr standard three barrel bridge plate and ordered some compensated barrels to go along with it.

Thx again!

earthmud likes this.
  16. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

If it's the Fender Vintage 6-saddle Tele Plate and those are Vintage Tele saddles, I'd say they'd fit. I prefer the 3-saddle bridge with compensated saddles, I have the type shown above (Wilkinson) at the present but I'm going to get the newer Gotoh compensated, which look great. Don't know if they come in steel, though, I'm going for brass, also you'd have to get the Vintage 3-saddle bridge plate for them.
    Al