Tele bridge for twang AND heat: looking at these options

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bucksears, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I have an DiMarzio Area T neck and Virtual Hot T bridge in my Tele right now. The Virtual Hot T is full and fat (very much like a cross between a P90 and a Tele bridge), but I'm yearning for something a little twangier in that spot, but don't want pedals or amps to wimp out on me. I'm actually considering going back to regular single coils.
    Let me also say that I have a set of DiMarzio Twang Kings on the shelf; the TK bridge sounds great with gain, but doesn't push pedals or amps very much at all.

Looking at these options (to go with the Twang King neck or Area T neck):
    DiMarzio True Velvet bridge (but I've read where it is a bit smoother, less treble)
    DiMarzio's new Area T 615 bridge - new for 2012 - from the description on their site, sounds like a cross between the Area T and Area Hot T.
    Duncan Broadcaster
    Duncan Jerry Donahue
    Bareknuckle Flat 50s bridge (heard some great rock/drive demo videos, but will it twang?)

I'm reading more and more that the Duncan Jerry Donahue is the one to go with for this sort of thing, but others rally behind the DiMarzio Area Hot T.

Any opinions?

2. Miles

Miles Member

Duncan Quarter Pound. I love this pickup. Perfect blend between twang and beefy tone. I tried a lot of other pickups and kept coming back to this.

3. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I replaced a Duncan JD with an Area Hot T - the Hot T is a rock tele pickup - the JD will get you there with a good pedal and the right amp, but the Hot T is all the way there - if you want to dip back into twang every so often, stay w/the JD, that was my experience anyway.

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Which bridge design are you going with?

The choice can turn on whether the bridge is AV52, or a Callaham, or a Gotoh 6 saddle I think.

5. AEROSNIFF

AEROSNIFF Member

Area T will get the job done. Twang Kings great for country, not so much for other stuff. Broadcaster... I love'm for country and twang. Quarter pounder...na.
    Bang for the buck, twang, grit, quiet, Area T with the TK neck pup. Good combo.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Don't know the others, but I love the JD. It's a maybe a more subtle change than some expect, but it's a hair warmer and just a hair less twangy than a 'standard' tele bridge, just enough on both counts to make an ideal difference.

7. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Look for an early nocaster pup. The hotter overwound one :D
    They come up on ebay once in awhile.