Tele bridge pickups ...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by David-R, Sep 8, 2006.

1. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I just picked up a Highway 1 Tele (alder/rosewood) and the bridge pickup seems a bit thin and bright for the classic rock type stuff I want to use it for. Any replacement suggestions for a bridge pickup that rawks? I'm considering a Fralin steel pole as I have one in my Strat that I like.

[​IMG]

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Harmonic Design Super 90.

I also really like the Fralin SP.

3. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I have a SP43, but I'm about to sell it. Not because I don't like it, but because I got it for a specific guitar I no longer own. It's a very good Tele pickup, but quite strong -- the only thing I might warn against is that it might overpower your neck pickup. I had it paired with a Lollar P90, which was an incredible combo.

If you're interested, though, shoot me a PM. I

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I have Tested many a Tele Pickups over the years. Here are some Results.

* The Peter Florance Tele Voodoo's are incredibly Bluesey and Powerful sounding. Lots of Character Mid's and Harmonically very rich!
    I recomend a full Tele set.

*Fender Custom Shop Nocasters really do sound Great! Nice and BIG sounding. Great balance between Neck and Bridge.

*Fred Stuart Blackguards and Alan Hamel Vintage T's Sound very authentic -but are not Super Hot wound. They will give you the Killer Vintage Tone!

*Harmonic Design Z-90 Tele set. They are extremely Hot and Full sounding - But are somewhat noisey.

*Fralin Vintage Hot's T's - Excellent Sounding! Very Clear top end if your into the Shimmerery Glassy sound.

Compensated Brass saddles really help! - As well as 250k Pots and a quality Tone Capacitor make a nice difference.

Get Twangin"

5. Grap

Grap Member

Setmour Duncan Jerry Donahue.

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

I've got a set of Rio Grande Big Bottom's in my Tele. Nice glassy top on the neck, and just a little extra beef at the bridge..but still sounds Tele all the way. +1 on the compensated brass saddles and quality pots.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I've always loved the sound of a Lollar in a Tele.
    You could try to put a different cap in as well perhaps?

8. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'm such a big fan of the GVCG Lollar pickups bridge pickup.

To me it really does strike a great mid-point between the balls of the early flat-pole sound and the balance of the later staggered poles. Clear twangy bass and a slightly rounder treble that isn't quite as hard as say a Nocaster pickup.

9. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I just popped a set of these into my workhorse Tele, a CIJ TL-52 in which I've replaced everything except the body, neck, and tuners, and, I have to say, I think they're my favorite Tele pickups out of any I've tried thus far. They're think like a Blues Special, although flavored differently -- they sound more organic. I know that's a maddeningly imprecise term, but it's the best I can do. There's a hardness to the BS that the GVCGs don't have, but that doesn't mean they lack impact, at all.

10. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Brass saddles will make a big difference. The stock steel saddles are brighter than the brass ones. The Fred Stuart Black Guard bridge pickup will not be as bright, but I'd swap the saddles first. Will cost you a lot less money than pickups.

11. MGT

MGT Member

David-R, what's your opinion on the HW1 Tele (besides the bridge pickup)? My local shop has the exact mate of yours & I've been thinking about it quite seriously. I currently have a Nashville tele but love my HW1 strat (same colour as your tele) so I'm thinking of the matching tele.

12. David-R

Bearing in mind that this is my first Tele, here's my review of it after a couple of hours with it:

Lightweight (rounds to 7 lbs on my bathroom scale which has 1/2 pound increments)
    Very resonant body with a lot of sustain
    Smallish fast neck - feels smaller than my American Series Strat necks and plays faster
    Fit and finish look good to me (but I'm not an expert nor am I very picky)
    Neck pickup is fat and full - might possibly become muddy if I'm not careful
    Bridge pickup is thin and bright (will likely be replaced)
    Volume and tone pots don't seem to have much range to them - volume pot is almost off if you roll it down below about "7"

Overall I like it.

13. David-R

Thanks, I'm thinking more about the SP42 as it might balance better with the neck as far as output goes.