Tele bridge placement and saddle length question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by johnboggs, May 28, 2008.

1. johnboggs

johnboggs Member

I've just completed a parts tele project and am having some issues with intonation. I'm using an Allparts '62 Custom body and I purchased what I think is a Gotoh Modern Tele bridge. (I've made this assumption because the saddles are 15/16" long and, per the Stew-Mac website, that's the only bridge I can find with saddles that size.

I think the bridge is wrong for the body. Lining up the holes in the bridge with the holes in the body seems to place the bridge too close to the neck and the long saddles won't adjust back far enough to let the low E string intonate correctly.

Does this sound like a correct diagnosis? Are the through-body string holes drilled in different places in different bodies to allow for different types of bridges?

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Terry's blueprint is for a vintage bridged Tele.

Can you tell us, do the bridge mount holes align properly? Normally, when the through holes do not align, then neither do the mount holes.

I'd use a Glendale or Callaham vintage style bridge on a body like that.

Bubbanov

4. johnboggs

johnboggs Member

There were no bridge mounting holes. I had to drill those. There were only the string holes through the body.

After mounting the bridge with the string holes aligned, however, the bridge is out of center in the cove cut into the pickguard, which fits pretty tightly at the forward edge to the neck. This would seem to indicate that the string holes are positioned to align with the offset bridge holes in a vintage style bridge with barrels rather than rectangular saddles, so that the string can come up beside the intonation screw rather than beneath it. Does that make sense?

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

If it's a '62 style body then it was routed for a vintage style tray bridge. A pic would help us help you.

Vintage:

[​IMG]

Modern:

[​IMG]

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yes, that does. I believe the bridge you bought is compatible with the Am Se/Am Std/Am Dlx type body, which has the through holes above 3 mount screw holes, right? If you wanted a 6 saddle bridge assembly for that body, you'd need the one off of a MIM Tele Standard, four mount holes above the 6 through holes, holes that are also ever so slightly wider in array. There are some bent steel saddles for that long MIM bridge plate that are good, but the Gotoh bridge you have there needs a new owner.

I still don't understand why a 62 Custom body wouldn't already have mount holes for your reference.

Bubbanov

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If you prefer 6 saddles, I have a vintage style bridge plate with 6 G&L USA saddles on it.

Let me know if you need it.