1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tele bridge plate test info

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone_Terrific, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

http://www.tdpri.com/viewtopic.php?t=47055

Here is something I stumbled over that sheds a bit of light on the the properties of ferrous bridgeplates and their effect on pup coil inductance.
    Very nice to see someone actually test a hypothesis and post measured results instead of unreferenced opinion.

I would hope that major companies have a handle on the technical details of their products, too, but they are not telling.:mad:

So many of the myths could be tested, rather simply, by anyone with a relatively modest collection of appropriate tools (OK- a small lab) and a few guitars and amps.

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Well, this bit of info sure stirred up the controversy;) .(sarcasm)
    This is sinking like a technical post over at HC.
    Where are all the tele-heads now?

If you just want the bottom line, the conclusion seems to be that the bridge plate material is not relevant to the tone of the pup, but rather, the tonal changes emanate from the different design, mass, material and mounting of the various bridge assemblies.

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

>> So my conclusion is the ferrous vs. non-ferrous bridge has negligible effect on the inductance of the pickup. This stands to reason since its overall physical size relative to the flux pattern is small (40-90 mils thick). In the post linked above, Twangbanger discussed some inductance changes he made with ferrous materials, but I believe he was wrapping the inductor with high permeability material. As he stated, that would make a bigger difference. It would have a much greater affect than a thin steel plate in the flux lines (like a Tele bridge).

>> It is possible the shape of the flux lines, as distorted by the metal, may change the sound. However, it certainly does not appear to be affected by an inductance change.

>> This is not intended to degrade any product line. It is just some measurements that show the property of "pickup inductance" has negligible change with the bridge metal.

I dig Teles (and my own Tele) a lot though I can't say I'm knowledgable enough to be a bona fide Tele head.

I can say that I tried a super-duper, very expensive non-magnetic stainless steel Vintique bridge on my '52 RI for a while, then returned to the stock cheapo Fender stamped ferrous bridge (and sold the Vintique one) because I honestly felt the stock bridge made the guitar sound better.

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Well I already put my 2 cents in on the original thread, so don't blame me:) .

Suffice to say, there's a bunch of stuff going on when you change the bridge of a tele in addition to ferrous/non-ferrous. Besides the magnetic field changing, you have the plate thickness changing the vibrational characteristics and the microphonics of the pickup. The saddle material and the break angle of the strings all contribute. It's very difficult to attribute a tonal change to any one thing when you change many variables at one time.

But with respect to inductance in particular, a pure coil's inductance does not change in the presence of a magnetic field. A coil with a core does change. A pickup is kind of a hybrid. The polepieces are kind of a core, but not exactly as there are 6 distributed in the coil and they are relatively small. I did not expect any real change in inductance and as Terry's experiment showed, there was essentially none. It was a good experiment. AFAIK nobody has really modeled a pickup's inductance in a magnetic field, like it's been done for a coil with a core. Interesting stuff.

5. fullerplast

And I bought it.:)

It all depends on the pickup, guitar, and type of tone you like. I use both types. Not all teles benefit from vintage style, not all teles benefit from stainless or thick plates. It's the composite tone that matters when everything plays well together.:BEER

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Wow, that's cool, thanks for reminding me - I'd totally forgotten who bought it! Glad to hear it's working for you (as is so often the case with sold gear, second marriages, used cars, etc. etc. ;) ).

7. stark

stark Supporting Member

I did a recording test of Magnetic vs Non Magnetic Stainless vs Stock bridges. The stainless was brighter and had NO bass compared to stock. Stock rules.

Adam Stark

8. fullerplast

It depends.

What pickup? What height? What guitar? What strings? What amp? What tone do you like?:)

Ever heard Bill Kirchen's guitar?

9. stark

stark Supporting Member

53' Esquire stock pu, 9's, Dumble mod Marshall. I like good tone! Sure have heard Bill, got to play with him once. He da man.

Adam Stark

10. fullerplast

:AOK

For a '53 Esquire, stock rules for sure! :dude