• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tele bridge replacement: Callaham or Glendale?

Griz

Greetings, all. I'm looking to install a top quality bridge and saddles. I like the designs offered by Callaham and Glendale and I intend to go with the compensated vintage type of saddles.

Which would you pick, and why?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

:JAM

Polynitro

Another option is what I did: use glendale saddles on a 52RI bridgeplate...Its all about the saddles anyway as long as the bridge plate is flat you're good to go.

straightblues

It depends on what you are looking for. The Glendales get the more traditional tele tone. The Callaham offers a little more weight and sustain. I like the Glendale cold rolled steel with steel saddles myself.

Redfish

You can get the Joe Barden with compensated saddles for around 55 bucks and it is a great tele brige. Check it out.

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member
"compensated vintage" is an oxymoron ...

that said, also check out Taipan's stuff, it's all beautiful.

ThugLife

GLENDALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing else sounds the same!!

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
Can't lose with either. I've owned both and liked the Callaham better, his new saddles are exceptional.

You haven't told us which model Tele you have.

I find that Teles that set up low like a Callaham, those that naturally set up high (Baja) like a Glendale. Guys with low output pickups, with a twangier style like Glendale. Guys playing with more gain and who have issues with squeal like Callaham. Guys with seriously offset string sets like Glendale, Guys playing lighter guages like Callaham. Guys who like the idea of an aluminum E-A saddle (nice!) like Glendale, those who want to completely cover a stock production bridge pup rout (and avoid "Butt Crack") like Callaham.

And others violate every single above generalization. If you consider Joe Barden, beware those saddle height screws are very high and they will cut you up. But replace all the hardware with 6-32 (tap out the bores) of the correct height - not bad at all IF you like really strong nickel color plating.

Confused? Sorry. Try the search function and you will see I've only scratched the surface.

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
And others violate every single above generalization...
Like me :AOK

This is an older Callaham flat plate for vintage mounting / specs, with a set of 70's Stars keyhole saddles that have so radically transformed this guitar. It has the snap and twang - but as Boris pointed out works well for higher gain applications....I too was ready ready to drop the $$$ on a sweet Glendale or Callaham vintage style setup but the set of saddles I already had saved a ton of money and sounds / works killer

There's no best, just what works best for you ;)

Griz

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

The Tele I'm upgrading is a MIM Nashville with an ash body and a maple neck. Nice blonde translucent finish. It's not a feather-weight; I'd say about average. I'm thinking of moving it somewhat in the direction of being a poor man's 50's Tele. I was going to start with the bridge and saddles.

I have installed a Callaham replacement bridge and saddles on another Tele and it worked out quite well. It was their Enhanced Vintage kit with the new style of compensated brass saddles. That guitar now sounds bolder with better sustain, highs are tamed just a bit. The intonation is very good. Overall I'm quite pleased.

Just curious about Glendale. Callaham's bridge plate is beautifully made, though somewhat thicker than a normal vintage type. Glendale might be the way to go with the other Tele.

cacibi

+1 for Glendale. You get what you pay for...not cheap, but amazing quality. Barden height adjustment screws are WAY too big and can interfere with string alignment, depending on nut width.

Seegs

it's impossible to make a sweeping generalization as they both sound different and are excellent products...

so it really depends on the guitar and what you are trying to achive...

I have em both along with several different saddle types from Glendale...in one guitar the Callaham worked better in the other it was Glendale...

I suggest investing in both and trying out which one suits your guitar and needs the best...

Chow,
Seegs

marsos52

both are top knotch bridges a saddles.. the glendale offers you more saddles options and bridge plate options and is more vintage so to speak

the callaham is the more modern take with a vintage look. both guys have there reasons for there designs. and you should go with the one that fits you and your tele.

Trending Topics