1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tele bridges

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by enharmonic, Mar 1, 2006.

1. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth

I've got a severe itch for a tele...either sonic blue w/ blackguard or mary kaye w/ blackguard...monster neck, maple fretboard...maybe just one pickup (bridge).

Thing is, I can't decide between barrel-style bridge and the more recent American Std. style bridge. I know the purists will say barrel, but how well do they intonate? Also, is it hard to palm mute on the barrel style? Finally, is there a significant tonal difference?

It's been too long since I've had a tele in the stable...must find someone who can build me a monster for under 2.5k :dude

2. Roe

Roe Member

intonation and palm muting are not problems at all if you go with glendale or callaham. Yes there is a significant tonal difference.

3. stucker

stucker Member

Wilkinson makes a Tele bridge that has pivot screws through the center of the brass barrels for precise intonation adjustment. Most Suhr Teles have these. I installed one in my Grosh Tele and am very happy with it.

Scott

4. billybob77036

billybob77036 Member

There are 3 choices of a bridge I would do if I were building a tele right now, and all include the barrels.

My choices in order:
    1) Glendale bridge and barrels - He has a host of options magnetic/non, and tons of barrel choices.
    2) JT Bridge with Glendale barrels - Read about the bridge HERE, and still get that Glendale stuff on there.
    3) Callaham hardware - good stuff, that has proved it's self over time.

Have fun!

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Is it possible to get presice intonation with 10-52 strings since most compensated saddles seem to be designed for 10-46 or 11-50??

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Barrel bridges are great for palm muting as long as the height screws are not too long.

Intonation wise they are a compromise but there are ways around it.
    Compensated saddles is another option.

btw, there is nothing wrong with a 6-saddle bridge, just another flavour.

7. billygoat

billygoat Member

Glendale has a set of compensated saddles just for 10-52. That said, even compensated saddles aren't as precise as individual saddles. That said, you'll have to pry my Glendale Twang set from my cold dead fingers

8. CJW

CJW Member

What would be the tonal differences between 3 and 6 saddle bridges? And if 3 saddle bridges are a definite tone improvement, why do I not see them on strats? Just curious.

9. billygoat

billygoat Member

3 saddle bridges (with brass barrels) contribute to that tele twang. There's alot of theories as to why, however, in my experience, it's just the truth

10. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

11. billybob77036

billybob77036 Member

12. Roe

Roe Member

bigger saddles=more sustain
    strat has 6 saddles because of intonation

13. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Buy the wood from Warmoth or USACG--BE SURE to spend a premium for hand selected XXX light swamp ash and neck figure if that floats your boat. I like the "boatneck" from Warmoth but season to taste...

Send wood directly to a reputable (RS does a good job) nitro finisher and relic-er if that's your bag.

Call Fralin (my choice) and describe the tone in your head. Wait time on pickups will not be as long as nitro so may as well special order.

Callaham for bridge--guy does a great job and it DOES make a difference.

Bridge plate and pickguard can be OEM Fender and can be purchased many different places on the net. Fender parts give it a nice touch I believe.

Throw a great experienced tech a couple hundy to put it all together. Worth the money for the fret work and confidence everything is done right. He'll enjoy doing it so he'll usually get you right in.

Total should come in just under $2000 for the perfect tele.

14. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

$2000? You should be able to build one for under $1000.

15. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

yeah, i built one for well under $1000 and thats with USACG/mark jenny finish/lollars ect!

16. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

He's back.

17. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I really like a barrel style on my normal tele. I can deal with subtle intonation issues. I don't find it hard to palm mute or that it causes any issues. On my Gigliotti GT Custom it has a modern 6 saddle bridge, I like that just the same.

I don't like the modern bridges on normal teles just because I feel they sound too "heavy", hard to explain, but it's almost like I'm saying it passes to much tone...I don't know. I like the twang I get on the barrel style bridges.

18. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

Barrel all the way. I'm so finicky when it comes to tuning and intonation. I have three teles. A '69 with the grooved steel saddles, an '85 MIJ Esquire Custom with brass barrels and a '74 Thinline with Strat saddles. The classic tele brass barrels sound best by far. Better twang. Nice tight response. They actually intonate about as good as the strat saddles on teh Thinline(although I'm sure a strobe tuner would say different). And lets be honest...they look absolutely awesome. And hey, if you're even more finicky than me, get compensated ones.

19. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

Man you're quick. I accidentally posted before I finished. You can even see the accidental caps lock issue I had with the letter E.

20. Tinman

Tinman Member

And to really confuse things, I deleted the post.