• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tele builder up to $2399?

AD

Platinum Supporting Member
I’m a fan of the Xotic Tele’s ( XTC model) and I believe they make the cut budget wise for new but definitely used.

I also prefer bigger necks and the XTC neck on mine is medium chunky. I was in a shop and the rep. suggested I try it and glad I did. I had no intention to purchase another Tele and it just blew me away. Enjoy the search.

View media item 184014

edgie

A friend is on the queue for a Switchback Country Boy and it looks like the builder is very communicative and has a nice build record(didn't find any complaint thread/comment here nor anywhere else). He doesn't have a website but very active in IG and FB.

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
Marc Rutters, definitely reach out to him. He’s in Naishville these days and builds an incredible guitar, especially a tele. He and Ron Ellis partnered on a strat for Josh Smith not too long ago.
That may be true, but Josh Smith has been attached to his Chapin T Bird t style for years, and it kills.

My vote should you want a custom build would be Mr. Kirn. I've owned several and they're all great.

So since my aborted order with Hahn, I’ve since put my money elsewhere for a Frank Bro’s. However, I still do want to get a Tele one day, and so I figure it’s never too early to scope out builders. My budget is $2399.
If you happen to be in NJ shoot me a PM if you want to check out my Kirn.

Last edited:
Just a thought. The Fender Wildwood Thin Skin Tele’s are $2199 new, but I’d probably buy a used one for around $1700. Good specs and thin nitro finish.

If the price doesn't scare you off, you should reach out. They are pretty easy guys to work with and build some killer guitars.
I think the price is OK to pretty good considering today’s market.
I’m not in a position to buy anything right now...but if I was, I’d go for one of their SS Zaftigs first!

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
If one were to go Fender, how far up would you need to go in order to get quality that matches the boutique builders?

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
Do any of these builders use pickups similar to Mojotone Broadcaster set? Overwound A3 bridge, regular wind A5 neck? The sound in this video is the perfect Tele tone I have in my head.I know, I could just buy them and replace the stock pickups, but it’s a step I’d rather skip if I’m going to dish out for a custom? Or...how many of these builders are open to letting you put your own pickups in if you were to buy them and mail them over?

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
If one were to go Fender, how far up would you need to go in order to get quality that matches the boutique builders?
In speaking with a few GREAT dealers who carry a bunch of the boutique builders mentioned here and also Fender Custom Shop, they both said a “properly spec’d” custom shop build that would compete with the boutique luthiers would start at $4K.

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
Do any of these builders use pickups similar to Mojotone Broadcaster set? Overwound A3 bridge, regular wind A5 neck? I know, I could just buy them and replace the stock pickups, but it’s a step I’d rather skip if I’m going to dish out for a custom? Or...how many of these builders are open to letting you put your own pickups in if you were to buy them and mail them over?

A lot of the boutique builders would be happy to build with whatever pickups you would like, and if they don’t source them themselves, will typically allow you to purchase and send the pickups to them, and they will reduce the cost of the guitar based on them not needing to supply the pickups.

Trolley Car

Red Rocket Atomic Retro Custom on the used market.

Great build quality , fabulous looking T style guitars made with prime exotic woods, top end hardware and pickups, purfling binding, and superb playability.

Used $2,000-$2,300.

Trending Topics