Tele Compensated Saddles?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rich2k4, Jul 20, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

i've never really had experience with setting up the intonation on a tele with a vintage bridge.

i'm used to strats, which have 1 intonation screw for each individual string.

how does it work on the tele? do you just adjust the 3 screws until all the strings are somewhat intonated properly and up to pitch at the 12th fret?

i'd assume it would be pretty hard to get each string perfect on a tele.

2. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Compensated saddles help, but yes, you have to intonate in pairs, and just lean more toward the string that you need to be closest.

3. schmerf

schmerf Member

Good compensated saddles are wonderful. I've had a few teles with them that intonated as well as most other guitars I've had.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Intonate the low E and let the A fall where it may, intonate the G and let the D fall where it may, intonate the high E and let the B fall where it may...or whatever method sounds best to you. IMHO, part of a Tele's primitive charm is being a little "out"...and its close enough for blues (or rock & roll) anyway.

5. shally

shally Member

makes me wonder if some of the masters who played jazz on their teles (ted greene comes to mind) had traditional brass saddle pairs, or 6 individual ?

i know danny gatton had paired, but he wasnt really a jazzer..

anyone know ?