Tele Experts: I need your opinions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shark_bite, Jul 28, 2008.

1. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

So I just picked this up:
    [​IMG]

I've already ordered a Hwy 1 body for it (I'm really not a fan of the FotoFlame finish). Here are my questions (and sorry for anyone who's already seen this on TDPRI):

1. The pickups are Tonerider Hot Classics. I'm not so sure I like them. I want a really classic Tele vibe. Totally old school! Suggestions?

2. What's the word on pots on these things? I was under the impression that MIJ electronics are generally good, but as long as I'm making a project out of this I may as well do everything at once.

3. With a sunburst alder body and the MIJ neck, I'm going to be in great shape, but visually I have to decide between a black and a white pickguard. And if I go white, should I do something more parchment-y or mint green-y?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

2. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

1. Novaks, Fralins, Mares, Lollars, Fender OV, Fender Nocasters...Take your pick they all do the classic tele thang
    2. Pots are cheap, get some cts (they're like $12 for top of the line) and new knobs/control plate/switch/switch tip/cloth wire/orange drop cap while your at it..but the ones in it are probably fine.
    3. parchment

for $22 you will have the best electronics you can get
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/WKTVNT3.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  3. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Slightly off topic, but what do the experts say about the Foto Flame body? Should I keep it or sell it? I don't know that I'd use it for any other guitar, so if I was to keep it it would only be to reassemble the MIJ and sell it in its original form. Of course, I don't even have the original pups, so maybe that's pointless anyway?

Would there be any demand for a body like this or would I basically have to give it away?

4. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

So you're just keeping the neck and the bridge?

5. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Pretty much. That and the hardware. And at least for right now, the pickups, until I find something I like better.

6. jpervin

jpervin Member

I've got a Lollar Vintage (neck) and a Lollar Broadcaster (bridge) in one of my Teles and, not only do they mate up very well, they sound very old-school. The swamp ash body, maple neck, and brass saddles also contribute as well.

7. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Ive got one just like it, It seems a real shame to part it up, Consider finding one you like and sell this one as is.

8. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

9. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Whoa, that neck relic'ing - is that actual wear? I like the neck on this bad boy but I've gotta say... it seems like there's a lot of finish to wear through before it starts looking like that. And also, that guitar looks WAY better with the white pickguard! Holy cow.

The only reason I'm parting mine up is because finding another neck I like this much would probably cost almost as much as the guitar itself. When you add on the rest of the hardware and circuitry, you're even closer. The new body wasn't very expensive, but I don't think I'd want an actual Hwy 1. The rest of that guitar is just okay, but I'd want to do the same amount of tweaking. Basically this is becoming a project for me to get real familiar with what's out there in Tele-land, because the more I play these things, the more I realize that the Telecaster was probably invented for the very purpose of ME playing them (okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration...). I love my Thinline, but it's unique and not exactly true to the essence of the Telecaster as it was designed way back when. The MIJ is okay, but it needs a kick in the pants. I like the idea of having a really high-quality Tele in the stable that looks and sounds exactly how I want it to, because I could easily see that becoming my main gigging axe (or #2, after the Thinline, which is just a hands-down RIGHTEOUS guitar). And the way I'm seeing right now, this one is my chance. I might want to hang onto all the parts just in case I find a neck I like better, though, because then I'd probably want to grab the last few pieces of hardware, branch it off into a new guitar, and reassemble the original MIJ for future use or just to sell.

What do you think this guitar would sell for, in good shape? And what is the likelihood that it will increase/decrease in value?

10. m@2

m@2 Member

just adding Lollars and Fralins are fantastic p/u's ... oh, and I'd go with a Black pickguard.

11. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Yeah, I don't think I could consider you a credible source of information on Telecasters. It doesn't look like you have very much experience with them.:roll

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

A simple $20.00 parchment pick guard will make a big difference.

That and the pots, etc. Polynitro suggested would be the first things I'd do.

13. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    try out some lollar or fralin pickups!

14. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Look at all the advice you get! I asked about changing pups on my 52 reissue Tele and caught a bunch of ****:)

15. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Yeah, but yours is an AVRI. That's a whole different guitar! It's a pretty well-known fact that while the MIM and MIJ Fenders are pretty well-made, they leave a little to be desired in the PU department. And don't worry, I'm catching the same **** - just scroll up a little :)

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Gotta love a SB Tele with a tortoise guard as well.

[​IMG]

17. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

[​IMG] To answer a few questions, Yes that is natural neck wear, the Guitar has stock Pickups and electronics, and sounds as good as my Custom Shop teles or my 68 with fralins. I really like the stock pick ups. But as you dont have them, Fralins....The body is Basswood and is light and sounds good. Mine has an american std type bridge, ala Mason, and it works very well, and I think adds some beef to the sound. I paid 400.00 for mine at MAE in Ft Lauderdale FL a few years go. I think you could sell the body, not sure what its worth, 75.00-100.00?

18. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Because his thread is: "I want a really classic Tele vibe."

And yours is: I have a Tele with the classic tele vibe but I want to change that and put humbuckers in it and I bought it yesterday...BTW nobody really gave you **** for it.

19. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Oof, you got a good deal. Or I got a bad one. Mine cost me a near-mint Classic Player 60s Strat, replete with the AY signed CS 69 pickups. Which, by the way, I actually couldn't stand. I don't know... maybe I'm weird, and/or maybe I'm just ridiculous, but I'd really prefer it if Fender never modified the Stratocaster or Telecaster from its original specs. Of course, that would leave a lot of you disappointed, but I tend to be more of a purist I guess. I realize that every time I get a new "modern interpretation of an old classic" type guitar. Obviously I can live with that, since that's basically what all my guitars are, but the Tele is special... and I'm thinking this is a golden opportunity to make some real magic and do it right.

I checked out sound clips on Loller's page, and I was pretty impressed - I think that's the way to go. Hell, I may order an extra set for the Thinline - I was originally going to put Texas Specials in there, as a friend of mine built a chambered Tele body and then threw a neck on it and those pickups in it, and it sounds pretty damn cool, but that would probably take away a little of the classic vibe and replace it with heat. Not a bad thing, but probably not what I want. Anyway for now it's got the stock pickups in there, and they sound good, but I bet I could do a little better...

20. lessthan3

lessthan3 Member

i would recommend fralins, i have them on my MIJ tele, theyre great.
    pots...a few days after my tele came in (bought from ebay), they fell off. Maybe/most likely its only mine, but i would look into having them replaced.