Tele/gibson firebird wiring help

brandon cur

Hey guys,

Putting a vintage firebird pickup in my tele. Can anyone show me a diagram or method for putting a vintage conductor pickup in a tele?

I also want to bypass the tone pot with the neck pickup because I'm using 250k pots. Unless anyone has had good results leaving it on with a 250k setup.

Chris Scott

What blanche said, and I'd add that if you do in fact find them out of phase, make sure that you check to see if your bridge pickup has a grounding plate at it's base, as if so you'll need to move the little length of wire that connects the plate to the ground wire terminal (wire should be black, but not always) and move it to the other terminal afterwards.

brandon cur

Thanks guys.

Chris, it does have a grounding plate. Is there anyway I could determine the phasing before soldering them into the guitar?

Chris Scott

Thanks guys.

Chris, it does have a grounding plate. Is there anyway I could determine the phasing before soldering them into the guitar?
Well, with all due respect to blanche's idea, I'd say that after soldering the new F-bird pup in, you try it in the middle position.

If it doesn't sound "sweet", you're gonna need to do both the wire swap on the bridge pup, as well as on the plate.

Seems pretty simple, dunnit?:cool: