Tele guitar build

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mark23, May 10, 2008.

1. mark23

mark23 Member

So I would like to take a stab at building a telecaster from scratch, pretty much go to he lumbar yard and and have a go at it. Can anyone recommend me any links to guitar building forums? i know stew mac sells plans for a 1959 les paul but i was wondering if anyone out there sells like a 52 telecaster plans? any help would be greatly apprecaited thanks

mark

2. jkats

jkats Member

For all things Telecaster, go to www.tdpri.com. Terry Downs has posted plans for a Tele there, which you can download and print. Use the search feature, and you'll find many step-by-step posts by people who've built their own Telecaster bodies and necks and even their own pickups and bridges. Good luck! It's a fun project to build your own Telecaster body -- I've done it once and I have several more in progress.

3. mark23

mark23 Member

thanks I will definetly check it out.

mark

4. Mowcheeba

Mowcheeba Member

+1000

5. johnboggs

johnboggs Member

Several good books on electric guitar building in general:

Make Your Own electric Guitar & Bass - Dennis Waring & David Raymond
    Make Your Own Electric Guitar - Melvyn Hiscock (forward by Brian May)
    Build Your Own Electric Guitar - Bill Foley (this one's mostly about assembly from available parts)

I'm in the process of assembling a tele from parts. I've assembled two kits before (Carvin Bolt and Carvin Bass), neither of which required much in the way of technical skill. On this project, I'm cutting my own string nut and doing my own wiring. I'll try building and routing a body on the next go-round.