• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tele guitar too bright. Fix?

Mike M

Silver Supporting Member
I just built a tele style guitar that has a SD broadcaster bridge pickup and a Gibson humbucker in the neck that I can split. The bridge pickup is so bright and not very loud. The humbucker has good output, but is muddy. Any tips or tricks to get the bridge pickup in more balance with the neck? I have 500k pots and a .22 cap. I really don't mess with the tone very much. Most of the time full output on vol and tone pot.

Thanks

rotlung

500k tone pot on a tele bridge pickup definitely sounds like a recipe for thin, harsh tone unless you use the tone knob judiciously. Perhaps try a 350k pot instead. You should never be afraid to ride the tone knob in a tele either. It's not as set and forge as humbucker equipped guitars.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, 500k pots in a Tele bridge pickup is a recipe for shrill. I do like the Duncan Vintage Broadcaster Tele bridge pup, but it is one of the brighter Tele pickups. But I do think switching to a 250k pot will help a lot.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Unfortunate pup pairing choice.
Load the bridge pup with a 500k resistor to ground so it does not effect the hb when you have the neck only selected but that will decrease output further.
Run the hb in parallel.

Mike M

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the info. I am open to changing the HB. Any advice on which one would sound best with the Broadcaster? New pots are on the way.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Another trick is to lower the neck pickup as far from the strings as it will go and then raise the polepiece screws to balance the volume. If that doesn't demud it enough, turn it 180 so the screws are closer to the bridge.

thrashmetl

Silver Supporting Member
1.5 Meg resistor from the switch lug that the bridge hot wire is connected to, and ground it on the volume pot. Cheap, simple solution. If it's still too bright, move up to 2 Meg.

Ape Factory

Use a hum/single tele kit from toneshapers.com. Has a 500K pot that'll switch to 250 when you're using the bridge pickup automatically. Best of both worlds. You get the 500K pot for the humbucker so it's not too muddy and the ability to choose caps at the flick of a switch. Keeps your bridge tele pickup from getting too bright.

I'd also suggest a Fralin Unbucker which is an amazing pickup and was practically designed for this very application. I have that mated to a Fralin Blues Special in the bridge. I experimented with a few variations and for me, this was by far the best combination.

K-Line

Vendor
Use a hum/single tele kit from toneshapers.com. Has a 500K pot that'll switch to 250 when you're using the bridge pickup automatically. Best of both worlds. You get the 500K pot for the humbucker so it's not too muddy and the ability to choose caps at the flick of a switch. Keeps your bridge tele pickup from getting too bright.

I'd also suggest a Fralin Unbucker which is an amazing pickup and was practically designed for this very application. I have that mated to a Fralin Blues Special in the bridge. I experimented with a few variations and for me, this was by far the best combination.
This. I cannot find 500k resistors so I use 470k. That will allow the bridge to see the pots at 250k.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
after you get the electronics sorta out, start with your tele bridge pickup height, treble & bass strings set at 3/32"

that's the measurement from magnet to under the strings, with no fretting at the end of the neck, just a straight measurement.

you must play with the tone pot on a tele. even a perfectly adjusted vintage style tele, with all single coils and modern electronics, will be strident with the tone pot rolled full up.

roll summahdat treble off!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom