Tele Guru's and Tech's... Shim/Saddle content...

LReese

I'm going to throw this out to show my experience with the StewMac .5 degree shim...

Those are Rutter's saddles - height screws are well buried in the saddle. Its a very low action by most standards.

The key thing to consider here is that the G-String has a tendency to pop out of the slots without that shim on the Rutters
I have titanium saddles, but something did not strike me right about them.

The question is what's the next best step - I'd like to keep a Fender plate and perhaps go to a cold rolled saddle.

Having the neck slot tapered would definitely help, but that body's been altered enough with the PW. If I went this way, while I have the jig/router, I'll get a tech to do it.

The Rutters Bridge plate seems it might be a candidate with the additional thickness. I could also shim the bottom of the bridge, but that's something that would work, but might not be Kosher.

Let's hear some opinions. I have a way of quickly cutting a less severe tapered shim - so that's on the table too.

As always, thanks in advance!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
The key thing to consider here is that the G-String has a tendency to pop out of the slots without that shim on the Rutters
my vote is to get a saddle with a deep enough notch that the string doesn't jump out for that G.

if you make things steeper still the B and G benders may start having tuning problems from the string dragging over the saddle at too steep an angle.

that, and it may be entirely psychosomatic on my part, but i think teles feel slinkier when the saddles are down close to the plate, regardless of actual action. what you have now is as tall as i'd ever wanna go.

Trending Topics