Tele Headstock Harmonics

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by GBStratman, Jan 14, 2008.

1. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

I have a CIJ Tele that has annoying harmonics coming from the G-string between the nut and the tuner. It's especially noticeable when hitting the G-string and then palm muting it. The string keeps ringing behind the nut. I've taken to putting a piece of tape on the string behind the nut and this seems to dampen the harmonics, but it looks ugly. Any other ideas?

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Change your stringing method to pull the string down at a sharper angle - more string wound on the post. I know this is contrary to the 'best practice' for tuning stability, but I often find it necessary on guitars without a G/D string tree, and if you wind on evenly and tightly while stretching the string constantly, it seems to hold tune well enough.

I had to do this on my '65 Jaguar that I used for several years for the same reason, and even with the G wound down so it was right at the bottom of the taper on the post, it almost never went out of tune.

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I bought a used strat and it did it very bad. I tried more winds on the G but it wasn't enough. I was going to use a pony tail tie up there, but that'd look stupid. I elected to get a new nut cut at a better angle and the guy did a great job. No more pinging G string.

4. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

What about adding string tree's or are they there or already?

5. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

Not on the G and D, but I'd rather not drill holes if I don't have to. I'll try more string windings, or maybe just stick with the scotch tape on the strings, which does work...

6. theraygun

theraygun Member

I had to put a string tree on my G/D on my Baja Tele for the same reason. Took care of it for the most part.