Tele HH mod

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by siberia, Apr 21, 2008.

Are you purest or a pragmatist?

1. I'm a purest. It's not nice to mess with father Leo.

2. I'm a pragmatist. I mod it my way.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. siberia

siberia Member

Here's my modded Tele HH. I did a couple of things for a couple of different reasons, and I am sure some will call it blasphemy, but does it all make sense to anybody?[​IMG]

2. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Whatever floats your boat! For the most part, I think it's pretty cool.

Just curious, why do you have all that real estate on the control plates, but chose to stack the volume and tone so close together, and chose to move the output jack to the top?

3. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

I'm GASsing for a particular HH Tele.

One of my absolute favorite guitars belongs to a friend of mine. It is a CBS-era Telecaster, butterscotch, blackguard with a maple fingerboard that was routed out for humbuckers back in the '70s. This thing is a rock and roll machine! My friend regrets customizing it because now it would've been worth so much more money but back when the mods were made, you couldn't give CBS Fenders away.

I really want this guitar but even with the mods, it is worth more than I'd be willing to pay. Anyways, it's a moot point because he's not selling it.

Sigh... I miss the days when you could buy buckets of CBS Fenders for nothing.

4. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

A HH Tele makes sense to me, but what's the deal with the two control plates?

5. JimH

JimH Member

To me HH tele is great combination of the tele's inherrent tightness, brightness and spank with additional HB beef/girth (whatever adjective you like). What if your LP's too muddy or tele to thin and bright?

6. siberia

siberia Member

I did this mod to deal with two problems I have. One is hitting the pickup selector switch unintentionally, causing an unexpected change in tone. The other is while playing on the couch the cord will be stabbing the cushion as it protrudes from the stock jack location.

For me the conclusion is: all the controls have to be at least as far down as the bridge, and the output jack needs to be on top.I used a stock Tele plate, reversed, and a Tele bass plate because they preserved the Tele esthetic, and kept the job simple.

I know I have a lot of plate there doing nothing but showing off my phillips head bolt, and keeping an empty cavity covered. I can only blame Leo for putting so much space between the knobs in the first place. That's OK, he's still the best thing that everr happened to the electric guitar. I just needed to tweek his design a wee bit to accomadate my own eccentricities.